Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Seti Germany's BOINC Pentathlon 2020 edition

Seti Germany's BOINC Pentathlon 2020 edition

There it is again: The BOINC Pentathlon 2020.
    No doubt we'll soon be hearing more, like

"Dear Pentathletes,

5 May 2020, the starting day of the eleventh BOINC Pentathlon, is only a few weeks away. Even in difficult times, SETI.Germany invites all Volunteer Computing enthusiast teams to participate in the five disciplines over two weeks and to gather in front of their computers - everyone in front of their own computer, of course. Maybe some of us will go through a different illness than the Pentathlon fever or spend much of their time keeping important businesses such as healthcare or food supply running. Let's not forget the former and thank the latter by crunching a work unit for all of them!

While the process and rules remain largely unchanged from last year, a maximum of flexibility is needed for choosing the projects, as maybe one project needs the computing power more urgently than others or a project may be unavailable on short notice. To make the Pentathlon nevertheless as exciting and trouble-free as possible, not only the Marathon project, but all five projects are chosen by a small group of the organizers this year.

The teams can now sign up until 2 May using this form. We're looking forward to welcoming you again, because:

It will be exciting again at the BOINC Pentathlon!" -and it always is.

Team Registration
    2010-2019 BOINC Pentathlon timeline

I have registered our team to participate, awaiting approval of the application now.

Go AMD Users!

Strategies?

Just do it! Right?

The Disciplines (one known so far, with a COVID-19 app)

Marathon: Rosetta@home

Start: 05 May 2020 00:00 UTC
    End: 19 May 2020 00:00 UTC

Quote Originally Posted by dannyridel View Post
    Just do it! Right?
    I am all in favour of the brute force method. As much machines at the running challenge project(s) as possible.

The Javelin has been announced as NumberFields@home, since this was new last year let me remind you the way this discipline works. We have five attempts (5x 24h periods, not necessarily consecutive days) and only the 3rd is counted for placement. Due to this, we should discuss when we are actually going to make our attempts, as we could put resources on other projects for two entire throws and still place the same.

Unless I hear otherwise, I will be sitting out this first throw, putting resources either towards the marathon, or whatever the next discipline happens to be.

Why sit out the first throw? Numberfields tasks are pretty fast and it supports both GPUs and CPUs.

Sounds like a reasonable distribution of our brute force to me

Event 3
    City Run
    Universe@Home

Start: 07 May 2020 00:00 UTC
    End: 12 May 2020 00:00 UTC
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-03-2020 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuicideCabbage View Post
    The Javelin has been announced as NumberFields@home, since this was new last year let me remind you the way this discipline works. We have five attempts (5x 24h periods, not necessarily consecutive days) and only the 3rd is counted for placement. Due to this, we should discuss when we are actually going to make our attempts, as we could put resources on other projects for two entire throws and still place the same.

Unless I hear otherwise, I will be sitting out this first throw, putting resources either towards the marathon, or whatever the next discipline happens to be.

I'll be sitting out for numberfields cuz I can't get an account there since I deleted my old one last July.
    I'll be full on for Universe all the way for now, and Rosetta for the first two days.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyridel View Post
    I'll be sitting out for numberfields cuz I can't get an account there since I deleted my old one last July.
    I'll be full on for Universe all the way for now, and Rosetta for the first two days.
    Looks like the right to be forgotten didn't came with the right to change your mind then...

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast