Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Seti Germany's BOINC Pentathlon 2020 edition

I only use my best GPU, a HD 7790 -and that is taking almost two days. The stronger CPUs all have finished one WU (four in total), only one has been verified so far. EDIT: all four, and four more waiting.
    The lowly AM1 CPUs with their even lowlier R3/HD8400 IGPs take more than a day, the Pentium J5005 -which should be in the same class as the Athlon 5350, IMHO- is far quicker.

This projects favours Intel CPUs and nVidia GPUs. My Athlon 9800GE suffers most, being just two old Bulldozer architecture 'modules' on an AM4 socket.
    My GeForce GT 650 slices through the WUs in four hours, while the in all other projects far stronger HD 7790 takes more than a day.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-12-2020 at 11:42 PM.

Well I find Amicable a little hard to predict. I have an nVidia GeForce Gigabyte GTX1050ti that predicted 1,324 days to complete one task, 0.051% completed after 16 hours in my Ryzen 9 3900x computer with 18 CPUs on Amicable with a predicted ETA of 2 hours. I don't know why the other 6 cores are not being used, a mystery of silicon world I guess. So that task got aborted and set for no new Amicable GPU work. Machine is now happily on Milkyway GPU tasks again at 8 minutes 20 seconds a task.

A phoenixed Dell Optiplex 990 running an Intel 2600 Sandybridge predicted over 12 days to crunch an Amicable task on 4 full cores. It got aborted and is now on Rosetta with 4 tasks at 7 hours 30 minutes each. I say "phoenixed" as this box had its power supply replaced so as to participate in the SG Pentathlon.

Dell on-line support were crazy funny. I started searching for the replacement power supply but didn't get anywhere. A friendly little window popped up and asked if I wanted support. OK. I explained my needs and they wanted the Service Tag - hey I had it. So far so good. Next they sent a quote by email (why not tell me in the popup box?). I open the quote and it is for the cable from the GPO to the IEC connection on the dead power supply. Morons. I explained it was incorrect - sorry we will have to get a senior to help off-line. They emailed that its escalated to another team and they re-route my inquiry back to support technician #1. Fools. So I emailed the senior supporter and he replies sorry it is unavailable. What? A widely used desktop box sold to 1000s of offices across Australia dating from 2013. Lousy company. I believe under Australian Consumer Law a manufacturer has to maintain spare parts for 10 years after production of a model ceases.

Next I visited my local computer shop and they readily obtained a Dell (made in China,[why can't USA make anything?]) replacement power supply. Don't know where it came from but it works. So that is the story of the "phoenix" computer.

ps. I have 4 more that are in-line for the same phoenixing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Well I find Amicable a little hard to predict. I have an nVidia GeForce Gigabyte GTX1050ti that predicted 1,324 days to complete one task, 0.051% completed after 16 hours in my Ryzen 9 3900x computer with 18 CPUs on Amicable with a predicted ETA of 2 hours. I don't know why the other 6 cores are not being used, a mystery of silicon world I guess. So that task got aborted and set for no new Amicable GPU work. Machine is now happily on Milkyway GPU tasks again at 8 minutes 20 seconds a task.

A phoenixed Dell Optiplex 990 running an Intel 2600 Sandybridge predicted over 12 days to crunch an Amicable task on 4 full cores. It got aborted and is now on Rosetta with 4 tasks at 7 hours 30 minutes each. I say "phoenixed" as this box had its power supply replaced so as to participate in the SG Pentathlon.

Dell on-line support were crazy funny. I started searching for the replacement power supply but didn't get anywhere. A friendly little window popped up and asked if I wanted support. OK. I explained my needs and they wanted the Service Tag - hey I had it. So far so good. Next they sent a quote by email (why not tell me in the popup box?). I open the quote and it is for the cable from the GPO to the IEC connection on the dead power supply. Morons. I explained it was incorrect - sorry we will have to get a senior to help off-line. They emailed that its escalated to another team and they re-route my inquiry back to support technician #1. Fools. So I emailed the senior supporter and he replies sorry it is unavailable. What? A widely used desktop box sold to 1000s of offices across Australia dating from 2013. Lousy company. I believe under Australian Consumer Law a manufacturer has to maintain spare parts for 10 years after production of a model ceases.

Next I visited my local computer shop and they readily obtained a Dell (made in China,[why can't USA make anything?]) replacement power supply. Don't know where it came from but it works. So that is the story of the "phoenix" computer.

ps. I have 4 more that are in-line for the same phoenixing.
    Hmmmm China has the largest amount of human resources available on Earth. And US people are quite lazy.

My Zen 1 mobile crunches one every 8 hours on 4cores. The iGPU gets a bluescreen everytime I try amicable, even with the lowest kernel

Recommendations

Based on my own and others' observations, it's best to run Amicable on Intel CPUs and NVidia GPUs, especially Turing and Pascal. But other architectures are better than AMD too. AMD CPUs should be put on Rosetta, where they don't have an distinct disadvantage. AMD GPUs should be put on MilkyWay and moved to NumberFields when needed. Let's go on the next javelin throw!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyridel View Post
    But other architectures are better than AMD too.
    Please elaborate.
    BOINC-wise, the number of supported architectures dwindles with the years. Basically it is x86-64 -Intel and AMD-, and ARM -mostly mobiles and tablets-, gone are the days of Alpha, Itanium, Sparc, MIPS, PPC/IBM-POWER, etc.

Most developers optimize for Intel -by virtue of using Intel compilers and Intel libraries that have this hard-coded and that search for the vendor string before applying the optimum path. You can get around this by masking the Id of your CPU, basically pretending that it IS Intel, and CPUs from other vendors will go faster too. At the outcome of Bulldozer AVX did not work for them because Intel-made code would only let it run on Intel CPUs, despite the AVX support of the Bulldozers. In the Linux environment, where Intel is much less prominent, there is sometimes a very large difference with the Windows environment (up to the point where your BOINC WUs will only get verified when earlier done by someone with the same CPU vendor...). A lot projects could benefit from better optimization for both CPU and GPU type - as KWSN proved with their optimized Seti apps.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-13-2020 at 09:22 AM.

hmmm I heard that some emerging chinese chip companies are using mimps and alpha, and zhaoxing which bought VIA even is able to use x86, along with hygon who got the weakened Zen.

With mimps you mean MIPS I guess, the current Loongson instruction set is a MIPS64. But try and run BOINC on it. Has there ever been a MIPS client? And if so: which project caters MIPS applications? The fact that Linux runs on ARM doesn't mean that all Linux x86 applications run on ARM Linux, so the same will hold for Linux on MIPS.
    Sunway is rumoured to use the Alpha architecture, and again: try and run BOINC on it. Last Alpha client was ages ago [version 6.4.5 December 2008 was the last I could find]
    Zhaoxing and Hygon are basically at the same level as VIA was before the sale -they might be big in China though pretty soon. You actually could use their chips to run BOINC with the present support.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-13-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Typo with MIPS64. Yes, these chips are currently still in development and lack real life usage like OS. Could they possibly use BASIC on it? ;)
    Zhaoxing and Hygon have low multithread performance, and is currently replacing Intel in some government systems since they're still limited to "embedded" form. They are quite a news here but the problem is no normal consumer would want them since they're too expensive compared to i5-9400F or R5 3500X (it's a Chinese special retail processor, don't mind)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyridel View Post
    My Zen 1 mobile crunches one every 8 hours on 4cores. The iGPU gets a bluescreen everytime I try amicable, even with the lowest kernel
    Windows or Linux? If Linux: AMDGPU or AMDGPU-PRO? Only the latter has out-of-the-box OpenCL support...download the latest version (20.10) from the AMD website, as it is not included in the distro's. To use OpenCL with the AMDGPU driver use the Oibaf PPA.

Ooops it's windows.Sad

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast