Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My ARM fleet

What ARMs are you using vaughan, outside of Odroid-N2s and -XU4s, and how many?
    Are they all running ArchLinux|ARM?

My Odroid-M1 received its OS straight from the internet via netboot (Debian 11, kernel 5.18) to the PCIe 3.0 x2 M.2 NVMe SSD I bought for it -four times as fast as the PCIe 2.0 x1 that e.g. the Raspberry Pi CM4 can give to you.
    The chief engineer remarked that in the case of a second M1 he insists on buying a 17'' laptop cooler to set them both unto, as the humungous heatsink (100 x 123 mm!) still gets hot to the touch running BOINC. In the meantime a harddisk cooler might also be useful, but there are even persistent rumours that a 80mm Odroid-N2+ cooling fan might fit...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-25-2022 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
    I like how the Experimental Department seem so demanding. Good on them.
    They might like to consider running newer kernels than come with RaPi Debian
    Maybe a RaPi Arch could show an edge.
    I like Manjaro these days as it back-grounds the Arch install steps and still leaves me with the Arch functionality.
    Some Manjaro ARM installs are a bit slow to boot, but there was some slowness with recent kernels so not all Manjaro's blame.
    Linux kernel 5.18 has numerous fixes and boots like a champ.
    But for a bare-bones install I'd go raw Arch with judicious low-level compile options and leverage every ounce of chip feature that you can.
    It's just fast. And then you make it faster. With nothing else there unless you put it there.
    Just some thoughts for the Experimental Department
    The experimental department is steadily warming to Manjaro, the test PC is by now on real-time kernel 6.0.15

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    What ARMs are you using vaughan, outside of Odroid-N2s and -XU4s, and how many?
    Are they all running ArchLinux|ARM?

I haven't looked at them for a long time but I think they are all from Hard Kernel Odriod-N2s and XU4s. Lost count of them but >16. Some are in their own rack cabinets. My son and I searched for a while then gave up looking for some way of daisy chaining them together. We consider Lego or Mechano parts but now they just dangle in the air loose in the rack cabinets (to try to minimise dust accumulating).

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    I haven't looked at them for a long time but I think they are all from Hard Kernel Odriod-N2s and XU4s. Lost count of them but >16. Some are in their own rack cabinets. My son and I searched for a while then gave up looking for some way of daisy chaining them together. We consider Lego or Mechano parts but now they just dangle in the air loose in the rack cabinets (to try to minimise dust accumulating).
    My active ARM fleet is nowadays five Raspberry Pi 4's (two 4GB Model B's, a 8Gb model B, a 8GB CM4 with I/O board and a brand-new Raspberry Pi 400); two 4GB Odroid-N2+ board (one Armbian Linux, one Android); a 4GB Radxa Rock Pi 4B+ under Armbian, two nVidia Jetson Nano's (one 2GB running the official L4T 18.04 and one 4GB running the unofficial L4T 20.04); a 8GB Odroid-M1 and two Raspberry Pi 3 Model B's, running 64-bit Raspberry PI OS.
    At the moment the best three boards from the 32-bit reserve (an Odroid-XU4, an Odroid-C1 and an ASUS Tinker Board S) run WEP-M+2 as well, as my #12 position world-wide is under attack from George Grennan, #13.
    Dust is the major enemy of 24/7/365 crunching.

Dirk I have been watching your progress in WEP-M+2. You are out producing me each day whilst I have been concentrating on SiDock.

I have a goal of 25 million on the project, may divert my ARM fleet to more projects afterwards -just did a bid on a Jetson Xavier NX to be able to do so. I bet the original owner wants a new Jetson Orin NX and is trying to raise money for it.
    George Grennan may be stepping up, but I won my bid and the Xavier NX will be arriving today.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-30-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    I have a goal of 25 million on the project, may divert my ARM fleet to more projects afterwards -just did a bid on a Jetson Xavier NX to be able to do so. I bet the original owner wants a new Jetson Orin NX and is trying to raise money for it.
    George Grennan may be stepping up, but I won my bid and the Xavier NX will be arriving today.
    I will have a reduction in output after I have passed Ralfy (presently inactive and at 25,418,519 credits), so you can remain the team's #1. You may be passed by Planet 3D Now!'s member 'p3d-cluster' however. He is there for the Formula BOINC points and has five (!) 64-core EPYC servers running the various projects. His best ten days scores are very good, and he keeps advancing despite only being active once in a while.

As WEP-M+2 ran out of WUs, I decided to change to Asteroids for a while, otherwise Sebastian from WuProp gets nasty for me running just WuProp and he is already subtracting enough minutes from my efforts without me knowing why.
    My Pi 4's choked on Asteroids though, and for a while I lost three Pi 4's and a Rock Pi 4. One of the Pi 4's (the 8GB) is running again -seems the added RAM padded the fall a bit.
    The other three are out longer, though one of the 4GB Pi 4's I have now almost back -but by now running from SSD. The other Pi 4 needs a complete reinstall, as does the Rock Pi 4....

Yikes that is a lot of EPYCs. I'm full bore running the PrimeGrid challenge this week. Maybe afterwards I can divert GHz to WEP-M+2.

I wish the folk at WCG would sort themselves out.

I passed the 25 million credits on WEP-M+2 today, Ralfy is within my sights...
    I've scuttled my 32-bit ARM fleet, any suggestions where to turn my 64-bit ARM fleet to, after I pass Ralfy??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast