Thread: Suggestions for naming my new cruncher

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

Suggestions for naming my new cruncher

Hey everyone

I need a name to baptize my new cruncher that I've been building this year. I plan to complete it and put it in full production before year end. Until now it's just been an array of parts in an open case making a lot of noise and heat.
    You may have noticed me test running it on and off for the last several months on Amicable Numbers, it helped me jump all the way to the Top 5 on our Team.
    https://sech.me/boinc/Amicable/show_...?hostid=118478

It's a monster GPU cruncher, with a Ryzen 5 3400G, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1 Radeon Vega 64, 1 Radeon RX 5700, 3 Radeon RX 580s, and a 1300W power supply to keep it all going, all in a huge rack mountable server case. It's currently pulling between 900W and 1KW of power at all times while crunching, as measured by my TP-Link energy monitor.
    Coincidentally I'm getting solar power in my house this year too, so it won't be so bad on the electrical bill to be able to run this little monster

So who can think of some good names for it besides "DESKTOP-REASBUK" that Windows gave it?

Once I got this thing in place I'm going to have to look for the AMD GPU friendly competitions to run it on too.
    Last edited by NeoGen; 11-08-2020 at 03:37 AM.

With that much graphic power I'd name it after my favorite movie company...I use aircraft names for Windows boxes and motherboard names for Linux/Android.

FRED - F'ing Ridiculous Electrical Device.

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    With that much graphic power I'd name it after my favorite movie company...I use aircraft names for Windows boxes and motherboard names for Linux/Android.
    I don't watch many movies, I can count by my fingers how many movies I watched in the last several years. What are some names of movie companies?

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    FRED - F'ing Ridiculous Electrical Device.
    You are right about that
    While it's running in its unfinished state it's actually been the device that has been warming up the upstairs part of the house in lieu of turning on the heating here. It's November and we haven't turned on the heating yet. lol

Lisa Su Jr

Ryzing Star