Thread: I got one!

I got one!

Pity it wasn't in Feb for the challenge, and I just missed International Women's Day too (as it's a Sophie Germain one), and it's not in the top 5,000, but happy to have finally got one anyway!

Congratulations! Our records indicate that a computer registered by you has found a unique prime number. This computer is assigned to the Sophie Germain (LLR). Since candidates on this subproject are not large enough to report to the Top 5000 Primes List, your prime is visible immediately.

Workunit 714424969 : 5996684773917*2^1290000-1 (388342 digits)

Congratulations!

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Congrats KarmannGaz! That may not be on the top 5000 list but it's a pretty chunky sized prime at 388,342 digits!

Good effort - any Prime detected is worthwhile. They are getting scarce.

Scarce? There should be an infinite number of primes, it just gets harder to calculate them at the moment -just wait for quantum computing to come along.

Still waiting for that.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Still waiting for that.
    Be prepared for a long wait, as we consumers are at the end of the line, mostly. I expect 64-bit multi-core RISC-V SBC's sooner than I expect affordable Quantum-PC's...

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    If Quantum computing is as powerful as they make it sound then future generations will have to find a new hobby because Distributed Computing will be a thing of the past at that point. A few good future quantum PCs should wipe out all these little problems we have nowadays in no time

We will have to think of even bigger harder problems that would make a quantum computer choke... and then we're back in the game lol

All progress in the past that claimed to solve everything only brought more and deeper questions, so we're save hobby-wise.
    The search for primes will continue, because there is an infinite number of them. Cancer research will still be needed, as will the research into pandemic diseases.
    Astronomy will run into its limits pretty soon too again, as will climate/weather research, etc.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-20-2021 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Be prepared for a long wait, as we consumers are at the end of the line, mostly. I expect 64-bit multi-core RISC-V SBC's sooner than I expect affordable Quantum-PC's...
    ....and I was right.

A word of warning from my not-so-enthusiastic alter ego:

The latest RISC-V boards are, BOINC-wise, equipped with a non-functional CPU, a non-functional GPU and a dito non-functional NPU.

They have much in common with the ARM SBC's, albeit that the CPU on those is at least supported.

The GPU on both platforms (Linux/RISC-V and Linux/ARM) needs some major programming to be able to run Open CL -and the NPU's aren't even supported in BOINC on the Windows/x86-64 and Linux/x86-64 platforms yet.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-09-2023 at 01:21 AM.