Thread: ROSETTA@HOME - FAQ

ROSETTA@HOME - FAQ

Project URL
    http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

What is it?
    Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's. Please join us in our efforts!

How Rosetta@home will use your computer
    When you run Rosetta@home on your computer, it will use part of the computer's CPU power (500Mhz+ recommended), disk space (max. 200MB), and network bandwidth through BOINC. You can control how much of your resources are used by Rosetta@home, and when it uses them. Any type of Internet connection (e.g. dial-up, broadband, ISDN, LAN) is suitable.

NOTE : Enter a valid e-mail it is needed.

You will receive an email from "Rosetta/BOINC Admin" containing your account ID (a long random string). Save this email. (If you use hotmail or a filtering program it may not get through, so check your "junk" folder)
    The email contains the following:
    Code:
    Welcome to Rosetta@home.

This email confirms your account with Rosetta@home:
        Project URL:         http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta
        Account Key:         YOUR 30 CHARACTER KEY
        User name:           Your USERNAME
        E-mail:              YOUR E-MAIL
    << IGNORE this section if you have BOINC installed and working properly. >>

1).Go to the BOINC website.
    2).Download whichever client you need (varies on Operating System). However it is most likely to be the top result (currently version 5.1.13).
    3).Execute this program.
    3)i.It is best for a new user to chose Single-User installation.
    3)ii.The otions "make default screensaver" and "execute on logon" are up to the user. There is no benefit to running the screensaver, likewise with executing on logon other than you will not forget to run it!

4).Next run BOINC and select "projects"---->"attach to project"
    This section has its own walk through, but you simply copy and paste the details from the e-mail in.
    5).The tabs are then pretty self-explanatory.
    The MESSAGES tab will tell you exactly what is going on, (any message in red is bad). At first it may appear slow and not doing much but it has to download the files before it can begin processing - at this stage it also calculated your machines benchmark.
    Under the WORK tab will be the work unit (possibly multiple). Looking under the status column will state what is happening e.g. downloading it, running/processing it, uploading it.
    6). If it says downloading and then becomes running it has worked. The process works in a cycle so when it has finished it will request another work unit.
    - Dont worry about the CPU Time, it increments every few seconds NOT every second. Just because it is not increasing every second doesn't mean it isn't processing.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Gosh... judging by the light blue titles I'd say this post came from the previous boards we used to have.. I know because I have done some myself with those colors, we used to have a different color scheme.

I have a piece of trivia to add to it... did you know that you can choose the length of the workunits?
    Yup, just go to your account, to the Rosetta@Home preferences, and you'll see there an option "Target CPU run time". Just set it to your preferred length.