Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unreliable XP machine

unreliable XP machine

I have had this machine for about 2 years now.
    Since yesterday evening it has become unreliable :? - yesterday evening and twice today i have been using my machine as normal and all of a sudden the screen flickers blue (3 or 4 times in a second) then the screen goes black and my monitor switches off.
    The only way to resolve this has been holding the power in for 5 secs.

because of the blue screen i assumed it would be a memory fault (e.g a dump report) but i ran a program (memTest86) for 13 hours solid overnight and no reported errors.

[ my machine is running XP Pro SP2 ]

ideas?

Is there any writing on the blue screen? Perhaps ur gfx card is going out
    Computer Repair in Clarksville, TN
    http://ClarksvillePCRepair.com

i don't get time to see, it flickers blue and black so quickly it could say anything!

I would try a different graphics card. Ya never know.

A new video card or at least try removing and reinstalling new drivers....did you try Dr. Watson to see if it reports anything??

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

since you have had it for two years have you formatted and reinstalled windows lately???could be a OS problem....

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

Or, you could run Prime95 in stress-testing mode to see if your CPU is throwing any errors.

graphics card only 2 months old.

Geforce 6800.
    I re-seated it and now have put on the new drivers.

I may try prime 95 but so far i havent had another crash!!!!

Any ideas I have one that may give you the exact answer

TO find the problems sometimes we need to reveiw what happened exactly process by process. To find the errors I will explain using the Event Veiwer.

Click on Start then Contral Panel, goto Administrative Tools, then click on Event Veiwer.
    Left click on the "System ", in the right hand column will be a detailed list with information balloons some with White ( there nothing but notations) Others with a Yellow Triangle ( mean something should be looked at) and the problems to deal with immediately are the Red "X"s.

Once you have opened your column to the right and found RED X, then right click the line and left click "properties" a Dialog box will open and you will be able to scroll using the up and down arrows to display each error code individually.

Read the event codes in detail and memorize them as they will become a jibberish kind of speak, which comes in handy when working in a network environment.

What your looking for is lapses in Time, You could have turned your machine off or lost activity in that period also, or there is nothing wrong anywhere in the machine and its doing fine( Really ridiculous statement I just made, nothing wrong running windows, Ha!)

Any Questions so Far?

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Hi

I´dont know the right name on English but XP can be restored to another timepoint if there have been a program downloaded who make the computer instable.

Lagu
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast