Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: BBC Climate Change Experiment

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

BBC Climate Change Experiment

New project people!! :D

BBC seems to be working co-op with the Climate Prediction team and is now running a Climate Prediction project of their own!
    Here's the website:
    http://bbc.cpdn.org/

Attention
    If you already have BOINC, then you don't need to download it from the website! Just go into your boinc, and run the attach new project wizard using the above website when asked. Create a new account through it and you're done! (Don't forget to go to the site and join our team ;))
    If you don't have BOINC, then you can very well install their custom version, it is based on the latest 5.3.18 that is not even released on the boinc site yet.

If you prefer to create an account on the site instead of through the boinc wizard, then you can do so here:
    http://bbc.cpdn.org/create_account_form.php?teamid=3

There should not be any problem with the boinc version you use, providing it's at least 5.2.x I think. But if you do have problems, then you might wanna consider upgrading your boinc to v5.3.17 (the latest alpha you can find on the website)
    http://morel.mit.edu/download/boinc/...s_intelx86.exe

And for you to see a preview of the screensaver, here's a screenshot.

I turned off all the extra layers, like temperature, precipitation, etc, leaving just the map and turned on the stars background. I prefer it this way. The layers on top appear to be quite pixelated, or at least to me...

P.S. - If you're browsing the site searching for the familiar boinc style menus, then go to the "My Details" and scroll down and click on "Advanced users: options and web pages"
    Or... you can just click here ;)
    http://bbc.cpdn.org/advanced.php

Site Admin
    Here's a few things I thought I'd mention...

By my calculations, at a rate of 4 seconds per timestep (4 sec/TS), one simulation should be finished in around 7 months. (Working 24/7)

Note that 4 sec/TS is the speed of my AthlonXP 2000+. Extrapolate that to the speed of your machine and you'll have an idea of how long it will take for you.

This application only sends trickles once per year of simulation. Each year of simulation takes me about 30 hours in the above said machine. That's how often I receive credits.

And finally, each trickle awards something like 220 credits... or at least to me. Multiply that by 160 years of simulation and you'll get over 35,000 credits for a full run!

meh, one CP is enough imo.

Site Admin
    I think no matter how many CP's we run, the climate is still doomed to change radically... :?
    But the more different experiences we run, and the more detailed they are, the better we can predict the global changes and adapt ourselves to them... :roll:

Site Admin
    We've reached TOP 5!! :D

We're currently ranked 4th, to be more precise. ;)

We're moving up in the world - now ranked 3rd.

Plus we're in breathing distance of 2nd - the United Kingdom team.
    Top 20

Site Admin
    Welcome to the Forums OtherworldBob! :D

We have really gone off to a great start on BBC. I really don't have a clue why. I guess AMD is a popular brand.

Make yourself "@Home" ;) Any questions or doubts or if you need help, feel free to post. We always help in whatever we can.

You might have noticed already that we're currently in more than 40 distributed computing projects, so if you ever get bored with BBC, you got alot to choose from with us!

And do tell us about your machine(s) and the projects you most like. I see BBC is one (you're running it :roll: ) but is it your favorite?

looks like this project has been approved for the Vault. the more crunching, the bigger the head start....

hey

Hello fellas...

I was looking for a team to join, and what other team is more suitable than an AMD team as i run an AMD 3000+ @ 2.2ghz. I am crunching on my free time and sometimes over night. Got about 4 trickles alreayd and will continue to contribute to the team...lets do this!

Welcome aboard jiggytom :!: I just got BBC Climate Change Experiment up and running on my Athlon XP2800+ no trickles yet but give it time.

Are you running any other DC projects either BOINC or non-BOINC?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast