Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live cd

Live cd

• SystemRescueCd
      SystemRescueCd is a linux system on a bootable cdrom for repairing your system and your data after a crash. It also aims to provide an easy way to carry out admin tasks on your computer, such as creating and editing the partitions of the hard disk. It contains a lot of system utilities
    • Feather linux
      Feather Linux is a Linux distribution based upon Knoppix 3.3, which can fit on a 50MB CD. It aims to have a wide range of desktop applications and to be relatively simple to use and set up. Its target market is anyone who wants a small Linux CD they can carry around, or for older machines.
    • Runt linux
      RUNT (ResNet USB Network Tester) is Slackware Linux designed to run off of a 128MB USB pen drive.
    • Gnoppix
      Gnoppix is a linux live cd based upon Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody). It can be compared to Knoppix but GNOPPIX uses GNOME as desktop environment.
    • Knoppix
      Knoppix is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. Knoppix can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.
    • PClinuxOS
      PCLinuxOS is an english only live Knoppix style cd initially based on Mandrake 9.2 that runs entirely from a bootable CD. Data on the CD is uncompressed on the fly, allowing up to 2 GB worth of system and programs on one CD.
    • Damnsmall linux
      Damn Small Linux is a business card size (50MB) bootable Live CD Linux distribution
    • Morphix
      Morphix is a modular distribution, with live-cd support (you burn the CD, you put it in your CD-Rom drive, you boot and it works... no harddisk-installation necessary
    • Puppy linux
      Puppy boots into a 48 - 54M ramdisk, and that's it, the whole caboodle runs in RAM. Unlike live CD distributions that have to keep pulling stuff off the CD, Puppy in his entirety loads into RAM.
    • RPM live linux
      RPM Live Linux CD is a 120MB RedHat-based distribution that runs completely from CD, fits into around 80MB of RAM and is nearly indistinguishable from a system installed on a hard disk. Features include hardware recognition at boot, samba, dhcpd, named, xinetd, and SSH servers, virtual terminals, PAM, etc. Useful for dedicated servers, routers, emergency systems, cluster nodes and such, it does not contain an X11 Server.

• Flonix
      Flonix is a light-weight GNU/Linux Operating System for personal computers. It is based on Damn Small Linux. There are two editions: Flonix USB Edition can be installed on an USB flash drive or compact flash card (64MB and more) and Flonix CD Edition, which is a live CD.
    • Suse live-eval
      SUSE makes the live-eval version of SUSE LINUX available for download as an ISO image. This version runs entirely from the bootable CD and is not installed on the hard disk
    • MandrakeMove
      based on Mandrake Linux 9.2 that provides a complete personal desktop operating system on a bootable CD. Personal data and configuration settings may be stored on a dedicated USB Key.

Nice work Bionic_Redneck.

Thanks, I haven't tried most of them but have used suse live eval and it pretty good but to keep your setting it makes a 100 mb file on your windows partition and you can't update packages but I don't see why you couldn't just make a directory in windows for more space in your home if that got full. right now I am using PClinuxOS it work well also

I have been messing with Suse Live Eval 9.0 and the only problem I have with it is that it will not let me get online. Other than that it is a great way for me to tinker with linux.

are you on dail up? if you on broadband it would just be a matter of loading the correct module. I'm having same problem with mandrake 9.2 and a board with build in lan. on a side note checked one of my computers this morning that was running md5crk been left going for a week or so and and the memory had been used up(memory hole) so I stopped the client but that didn't help so I rebooted never even booted back in since :roll:

I'm updating packages and I am going to get the 2.6.2 kernel. It rocks!

I am on Broadband cable.
    The live Eval version might not recognize the nforce2 ethernet that I have on the M/B.
    Since I am a linux newbie I have no idea if I can get the Suse 9.0 live eval to hook up to the internet. It had no problem with recognizing the rest of my hardware. The internet is the only sticking point.

Just a question?

In my pc i have WIN XP, with one of those LIve CD can i run Linux without do anyting to my harddrive? like partioning!!!!

Witch one do you advice for someone that knows that Linux is...let's see....a OS :oops: !?!?!?!?!?

Thank you and sorry for the english :D

I know with the Suse live eval 9.0 it does not install anything on your hard drive unless you have less than 128mb of ram... and then it will only put a swap file on your hard drive. It boots straight from the cd and does not do anything to your windows install. It does not care what os you are running. You dont even need a harddrive in the computer if you have 128megs of memory or better.

YUPPY YUPPY

YEAH YEAH YEAH

I-m really happy i-m using puppy and really works i have no problem with my eth0 device like a i had with mandrake full linux, linux is really cool this live cd is a bomb, sorry my ignorance, but it-s defenitly mutch slower, i-m running it on a amd atlhon 1900+ with 512 mb ram and the navigation on the net is really framed 1...then 2... then 3.... lololool who cares at least i-m using linux for the first time without any help at all, just me and my fingers eheheheheheh, thank you bionic for this post.

bye all

Ps/edit - i am using broadband :D , just a NO the US KeyB do not work very well for me i am in Portugal and Puppy does not have that option :shock:

numibesi, It probly is slower because of running off of cd-rom. When I tried suse live I didn't slow down at all but I used the 100mb swap file and have a fast cdrom.

Arminiusc, I wonder if the kernel has anything to do with aboard lan not working? I tried PClinuxOS and lan worked and the kernel is 2.4.23

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast