Memory1021.88 MB Cache976.56 KB Swap space2300.2 MB
    Total disk space74.52 GB
    Free Disk Space58.11 GB
    Measured floating point speed4075.1 million ops/sec
    Measured integer speed13140.53 million ops/sec
    Average upload rate25.06 KB/sec
    Average download rateUnknown
    Average turnaround time0.02 days
    I believe I've tested those optimized clients. Lemme find the post from a long time ago. The 5.5.0 ones are most likely Crunch3r's clients, the best optimized client IMO.
    Last edited by gamer007; 10-23-2006 at 12:01 AM.

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    They are Crunch3r's. It seems that anyone and everyone has theaked them to better fit different machine configurations. I have 4 different versions running on 5 machines. I have found about 9 different versions and have tried them on my machines. Some just work better on certain machines. The one on my 4800+ runs like crap on my 3500+'s and vice versa the copy on the 35's stinks on the 48. There are 4 people that I know of that are turning out versions now. I don't have the compiler or I might even try myself. There is a good "How to" on writting a client here:
    http://lunatics.at/index.php?op=Articles;article=3
    Last edited by gatekeeper53; 10-23-2006 at 01:04 AM.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

Sounds like fun. I should try it sometime. :P

But I don't like installing Visual Studio and then having the stupid "Just-in-Time Debugger" always poping up whenever an error occurs in any program.

Imo clients like Crunch3rs BOINC are forcing most project admins to move to fixed based credit to stop people from cheating. For example, how do we know that crunch3rs client isn't just over exaggerating the figures? Does anyone know what there real integer speed is for a default clocked processor? And does crunch3r's client approximately match that figure or is it above?

A lot of projects are starting to ban 5.5.0 for cheating credit. I don't think it is a good idea for AMD Users to start being labelled as "cheaters"

I'm not saying that Crunch3r's client is the only way that people are cheating for more credit, since you can easily edit client_state.xml to give higher benchmark scores.

I've always been an honest person and just stating my opinion on the matter.

Sigh....... /rant-on

One of the original goals of the boinc effort was to eliminate the "cheating," a laudible effort. Unfortunately that saying of "When you're up to your ass in alligator's, it's hard to remember the initial objective was to drain the swamp" has proved over time to have quite a bit of merit. Too much internal tunnel vision. Excellent concept. The point awarding system is great in theory, all automated dependent of each computer. But another old saying of "what one man maketh, another man tearith apart" is quite appropriate too. This whole points issue is the super sized BOS (ball of $h*t) of boinc. It's all well and good for some to sit and say "ahhhh, it's the science" when in reality a great bulk of the people wouldn't be crunching without a points system. The science attracts them to the project, but the point game keeps them crunching. The poll held elsewhere on here regarding fixed or dynamic points shows just what the percentage is of people that would like fixed points. Why don't they just switch to it?? Well the main reason I can fathom is that then they wouldn't be able to set up relative points between projects, etc. I guess that's fine for some beanie sitting in a chair somewhere. But for me I'd much rather have the fixed points. I'd crunch boinc efforts then on linux. Points would appear as they are "earned" rather than waiting to be validated. Save all that "indexed" stuff for determining how many work units need to be downloaded to a system. Works great for that. But until this whole points thing gets fixed to the point that people can't mess with it, or cheat, it's just gonna keep going on. So my point? In so far as points manipulation goes, boinc isn't really any improvement over the old seti classic which had one *small* thing over boinc.......... and that was that the client worked for everyone.
    /rant-off

The thing is that all the points granted so far and $1 will get you a cup of coffee. I see the points as being like a shiny new toy that does nothing but keep an interest. No matter the system used if it is used around as large a group of geeks as make up the crunching world there will be someone that finds a way to circumvent it. It seems to me that the tweaking and system talk that we all have in common is a far greater draw than points that really have no worth. Why else would we spend thousands of dollars,pounds,euros,... to keep doing something? Sometimes I can find a fishing buddy on here there is always someone that shares an interest in computers. In real life I get a lot of blank stares if I talk about a new system I'm running or built. Not to mentioned what they think when they find out I have a larger number of computers living in my house than I do people. For all I care they could do away with the points today because by tonight we will have found some other yardstick to use to race. As for being a "cheater" nah nah na nah nah lol

I'm with Terry on this one, especially around the point (no pun intended) he made on "the tweaking and system talk that we all have in common is a far greater draw than points that really have no worth." - as I'm crunching due to having a computing hobbie and the points system simply allows me to gauge how much more I can push out of a system compared with other like minded enthusiasts (i don't care if I'm top or bottom, although top does have a feelgood factor - apparently!!! )- the science is just an added bonus but in all honesty I have no clue what some of them are doing with the results, I enjoyed HashClash but I don't understand it and even though the forum was rife with members complaining about points cheating the project was effectively completed simply due to us members throwing our systems at it and there is no actual harm to the science whether we are optimized or not!

Right then, time to put my money where my mouth is and shutdown all my systems, get into BIOS and tweak these mothers till they melt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gatekeeper53 View Post
    The thing is that all the points granted so far and $1 will get you a cup of coffee. I see the points as being like a shiny new toy that does nothing but keep an interest. l
    Prescisely the point. Without the interest and participation then DC would dwindle significantly. And how else do you measure participation between teams? No teams then? These teams would not be anywhere near where/what they are without a point system. And Berkeley realized the validity of having points, otherwise they wouldn't have been built into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by blackheath View Post
    I'm with Terry on this one, especially around the point (no pun intended) he made on "the tweaking and system talk that we all have in common is a far greater draw than points that really have no worth." - as I'm crunching due to having a computing hobbie and the points system simply allows me to gauge how much more I can push out of a system compared with other like minded enthusiasts (i don't care if I'm top or bottom, although top does have a feelgood factor - apparently!!! )- the science is just an added bonus but in all honesty I have no clue what some of them are doing with the results, I enjoyed HashClash but I don't understand it and even though the forum was rife with members complaining about points cheating the project was effectively completed simply due to us members throwing our systems at it and there is no actual harm to the science whether we are optimized or not!

Right then, time to put my money where my mouth is and shutdown all my systems, get into BIOS and tweak these mothers till they melt!!!
    Go look at all of the posts................ how much is about getting points on various projects, and then compare that with how large?small the "hardware" thread is, etc.

LOL If points don't matter then why is the team on all the projects, why do we have all the threads on projects, why don't we just withdraw from it all and see how far this site goes as a gossip/hobby. Why do so many people worry about getting more systems bought/borged? Why don't lots more people just take the "anonymous" path of dumping in all their machine time and results into the big void in the sky so they or anyone else has no idea what they have or are doing?

It's because of the points. Period.

The points keep many people here. The thing is the one's that have farms and really do a disproportionate amount of the work would be the ones that would just find another yardstick to enable a race. If you look there are over 800,000 people registered with Boinc. Most of those are running their home system and have little intrest in points. To many of them it's just what it was meant to be; a pretty screensaver. My wife says she likes me doing this as when I was driving drag cars it scared her, and was more expensive. It's a competitive thing with many of us and the gissip/hobby is part of it. If there was another way to put man and machine against one another I believe many of us would be splitting our time as we do with different projects. As it is this is what we have. But, the notion that you can make a points system that no one would get around is laughable. If you could write something that bulletproof you are wasteing your time and should be writting security programs. This is great fun as long as people don't start taking anything to seriously. The only serious thing in all this is the science that gets done faster than it would without all us grownups playing with our toys.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast