Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Optimized BOINC Clients FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    Go look at all of the posts................ how much is about getting points on various projects, and then compare that with how large?small the "hardware" thread is, etc.

LOL If points don't matter then why is the team on all the projects, why do we have all the threads on projects, why don't we just withdraw from it all and see how far this site goes as a gossip/hobby. Why do so many people worry about getting more systems bought/borged? Why don't lots more people just take the "anonymous" path of dumping in all their machine time and results into the big void in the sky so they or anyone else has no idea what they have or are doing?

It's because of the points. Period.
    Don't get me wrong about points, points do matter just like you stated -- without points there would probably be no teams and without teams there'd quite possibly be no amdusers.com. Points are important and makes a project competitive between the members and that can only be a good thing for the 'whatever' project. I am certainly not against points and am certainly not against gaining as many points as I can by O/Cing my systems and letting them crunch 24/7/365.

EDIT : Why am I crunching Tanpaku at the moment? - simply to help the team gain the #1 points position!!!

My post was really around why I do these projects.

Regarding cheating - I strongly disagree that optimized libraries such as Crunch3r's old optimized code, which is just a better design, should be labeled cheating I would say cheating is when someone friggs with their benchmarking figures so much so that they don't actually benefit the project whatsoever and are just in it for the points - as an example the guy who gained 775,040,862,421.17 credits for one 11 minute WU in HashClash that time, now that's cheating!
    Last edited by Strongbow; 10-23-2006 at 08:45 PM.

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    I agree anything that speeds up my machine therefore speeding up the results to the project to me is fair game. I quit crunching RS because the wu's didn't run well on my setup but gave me a lot of points. If it's not doing some good there is just no fun in it. I enjoy squeezing all I can get out of my machine and if all there was, was to install the boinc client and let it crunch I don't think I would have been here long. The way it is the projects benefit and I have a good time.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

Quote Originally Posted by gatekeeper53 View Post
    But, the notion that you can make a points system that no one would get around is laughable. If you could write something that bulletproof you are wasteing your time and should be writting security programs.
    That wasn't the point I initially was getting at. It was one of *berkeley's* goals. My point is that the current boinc points system sux, and would be better served by just using a fixed point system. As for making something people can't get around so easily, all they need to do is use a crypto based work unit naming/assignment routine. Nothing that can't be done now, and it isn't going to get cracked in a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by gatekeeper53 View Post
    But, the notion that you can make a points system that no one would get around is laughable. If you could write something that bulletproof you are wasteing your time and should be writting security programs.
    I must admit I'm yet to see someone get around the FAH points system.:icon_salut:

The benchmark machine data already also means that some projects get a nice bonus on it and others suffer a bit but it adds to the game

Unhappy

Oh dear, i've dugg up a can of worms on this one. I take back me using the word "cheating". This arguement was not intended, i was merely commenting on what had been said about Crunch3r's BOINC on project forums. I'm hoping once the BOINC code is optimised and released properly then hopefully it will put an end to the "Optimised/Unoptimised" client threads that are apprent on practically every project forum.

At least we can be happy in the knowledge that AMD processors have been a cut above Intel for a long long time (even though the Duo is gaining good benchmarks) I'm still hopeful about AMD's Quad processor system... i still think it's gonna blast Intel out of the water.

My apologies for this

To help this thread rather than cause more problems on it, please find a link to more optimised clients:

http://boese.dnsalias.com:6969/

I'm using the 5.7.0 version.

There must be somthing wrong. Have you type in wrong words? I can´t load this page.
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Nope thats the url Lagu, works for me in firefox.

I can´t load this page.
    Nor, can I
    If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
    Congress!

Thumbs up

I think i'll just upload them to my ISP webspace. Please don't hammer this link otherwise i'll have to remove it (my ISP will get annoyed)

http://evildragon.myby.co.uk/boinc/boinc_5.4.11_optimized_win_client(binaries_only).r ar
    http://evildragon.myby.co.uk/boinc/boinc_5.7.0_optimized_beta_win_client(binonly).rar

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast