Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Optimized BOINC Clients FAQ

Faster Milkyway@Home optimized client

Download and install the faster "optimized" client from here.

Pick the "Alternative download location" link if using Windows (haven't tried the Linux version) and it should take you to a page where you can download a 120Kb sized file in Zip format. Stop BOINC. Unzip the file into the Milkway folder in your BOINC Projects folder. Easy to find this folder location if you are using BOINC v5.x.x but darned difficult to find if using BOINC v6.x.x . Now re-start BOINC and allow Milkway to get work.

The server is getting hammered but eventually you should get some tasks. My Intel T2300 1.6 core duo laptop has gone from 8 hours a task to approx 12 minutes

Wow, that is a real big change. even eliminating the graphics and cleaning the code. you are talking of 1oooo% increase. that mean that either the MW wu's and / or boinc were not as compatible. Are you getting good results, i mean the end product of our work precise or does it just passing the chksum and been validated, but the data later is trash? just thinking, because it so big the diff. I will try to down the linux version to see what it does in one of the old 1.7 single core i have.
    tnks Vaughan
    Rafael

Hi Borfil - the MilkWay project admins keep playing with the apps and the points awarded. The optimised app helps slow old computers but is useless with modern fast multicore CPUs. They say they are going to release a new improved version of the official optimised app but it hasn't appeared yet. My Q6600 takes about 7.5 hours on each core to run the current MW tasks. My old core duo 1.66GHz laptop took much less time to complete these tasks with the optimised app. The points were awarded so I presume the "science" was OK.

hi, I Triedthelinux version on an older Laptop. di d not get but a few seconds imporvemet in 1 and 2 crash. so return to the I686 version.

Not sure if we have covered optimized SETI clients but they are available here.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456