Thread: Optimized BOINC Clients FAQ

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    Go look at all of the posts................ how much is about getting points on various projects, and then compare that with how large?small the "hardware" thread is, etc.

LOL If points don't matter then why is the team on all the projects, why do we have all the threads on projects, why don't we just withdraw from it all and see how far this site goes as a gossip/hobby. Why do so many people worry about getting more systems bought/borged? Why don't lots more people just take the "anonymous" path of dumping in all their machine time and results into the big void in the sky so they or anyone else has no idea what they have or are doing?

It's because of the points. Period.
    Don't get me wrong about points, points do matter just like you stated -- without points there would probably be no teams and without teams there'd quite possibly be no amdusers.com. Points are important and makes a project competitive between the members and that can only be a good thing for the 'whatever' project. I am certainly not against points and am certainly not against gaining as many points as I can by O/Cing my systems and letting them crunch 24/7/365.

EDIT : Why am I crunching Tanpaku at the moment? - simply to help the team gain the #1 points position!!!

My post was really around why I do these projects.

Regarding cheating - I strongly disagree that optimized libraries such as Crunch3r's old optimized code, which is just a better design, should be labeled cheating I would say cheating is when someone friggs with their benchmarking figures so much so that they don't actually benefit the project whatsoever and are just in it for the points - as an example the guy who gained 775,040,862,421.17 credits for one 11 minute WU in HashClash that time, now that's cheating!
    Last edited by Strongbow; 10-23-2006 at 08:45 PM.