Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Optimized BOINC Clients FAQ

Optimized BOINC Clients FAQ

NeoGen has created this FAQ for using optimized BOINC clients

Optimized BOINC clients FAQ

Q: What are optimized clients?
    A: Optimized clients are boinc executables (.exe files) and sometimes linked libraries (.dll) that are specially compiled to take advantage of the most advanced features of each kind of CPU. these advanced features include special processor instructions like MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, etc...

Q: Does it make my machine crunch faster?
    A: No, it does not make your machine crunch any faster. The Boinc application itself does not crunch anything, it merely manages the crunching apps, starting and stopping them at defined intervals to ballance the cpu time across all the projects that you are crunching for.

Q: So, what good is an optimized client for?
    A: Boinc claims credits for a given workunit based on the time that it took to complete it, and the speed of the machine itself. The optimized Boinc client using the most advanced cpu features gives a higher speed value for the machine's benchmarks, which in consequence makes boinc claim more credit than the regular client on the exact same machine. Besides that, some optimized clients have extra functionalities not provided in the regular boinc client.

Q: So, with an optimized client I get much more credits?
    A: Yes... and no. The fact is that there are very few projects where you get the credits you claim. Most of the projects calculate an average of several claims, or grant the credits of the machine making the "middle claim". (Not the highest, and not the lowest). But in general, it is always better to use an optimized client, because in case the project grants the average of claims, one or more high claims can grant higher credit for you and the people that crunched your workunit.

Q: Wait, aren't those inflated benchmark values cheating?
    A: If you use a recognized optimized client then no, it isn't cheating. The benchmark values will actually show the real potential of your machine, and not the low values given by the regular client. On the other hand, if you're a hacker and you plant absurdely high values on the boinc source code and compile it, then yes it is cheating. (And yes, it has happened already)

Q: What are those extra functionalities said above, and do I need them?
    A: Technically, you don't really need them, the regular boinc client already comes with everything necessary to start working. The extra functionalities can be things like reporting workunits instantly (boinc sometimes takes a while), changing the default communications port (useful if for some reason the default port is blocked or used by another application), changing the default process priority, getting more work, and many more.

Q: Where can I get these optimized clients?
    A: See gamer007's List of Optimized BOINC Clients thread for a list of known good optimized clients for almost all platforms/OS'es.

Q: How do I install an optimized client?
    A: An optimized client is not really "installed". What you do is install the regular boinc client as you normally would, and afterwards extract the contents of the optimized clients zip files inside the boinc folder, overwriting the files as requested. Then you start boinc as normally, and you execute the benchmarks manually once (Advanced menu->Run CPU benchmarks) just so that it records the optimized benchmark values.

Q: Is there any project that can't be run with an optimized client?
    A: Any project that runs through a regular boinc client, can run with an optimized client as well. However any project that runs a custom version of Boinc (The japanese Cell Computing projects for example) cannot run with an optimized boinc client.

i have to admit, reading this has lessened my anti-optimizing thoughts on this subject. but, something still bothers me about overwriting files,even though they are "recognized".

i sure wish i could get over it though,maybe someday soon. my stance on this is preventing me from helping my team mates on certain projects, and DC junkie that i am, its killing me. i may just have to bite the bullet.

I've run the optimized clients since they came out, no problems. The Seti client really helps a lot !!! :D

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

are you using TRUX?

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I too sometimes feel weary of running something that was altered and compiled by someone I don't know. I know a few bits of programming but not enough to understand large projects like this. If I could I would compile an optimized boinc myself.
    But we gotta give in sometime, don't we? :roll:

The Link for the list of clients is broken

What would be a good one for a core 2?
    Last edited by PcManiac; 10-22-2006 at 10:56 PM.
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    Which one would you like?
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

Quote Originally Posted by gatekeeper53 View Post
    Which one would you like?
    I guess any that would utilize SSE3 and such...
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    I have a 3700+ and the one that I found that works best is at this link:

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/...82224#25882224

I use the SSE2 5.5.0 for windows

Domain name Standby-PC
    Local Standard TimeUTC -6 hours
    NameStandby-PC Created13 Oct 2006 0:43:39 UTC
    Total Credit8,159.74
    Recent average credit503.43
    CPU typeAuthenticAMD
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
    Number of CPUs1
    Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows Longhorn
    Professional Edition, (06.00.5600.00)
    Memory1021.88 MB Cache976.56 KB Swap space2300.2 MB
    Total disk space74.52 GB
    Free Disk Space58.11 GB
    Measured floating point speed4075.1 million ops/sec
    Measured integer speed13140.53 million ops/sec
    Average upload rate25.06 KB/sec
    Average download rateUnknown
    Average turnaround time0.02 days
    Last edited by gatekeeper53; 10-22-2006 at 11:31 PM.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

I ran Predictor without an optimized client for over a month on my 3800+ and was averaging about 620-625 credits a day. After "optimizing" as was reccomended to me, my average dropped to about 590-595 a day in Predictor. These things aren't always everything they are expected to be.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast