Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a good linux for a 1st timer?

What is a good linux for a 1st timer?

I want to try linux...I tried Debian, but I can't get GDM to load, it says something is wrong with X serve(r). So, what kind of installable linux do you recommend?
    Computer Repair in Clarksville, TN
    http://ClarksvillePCRepair.com

I really like pclinuxos. It's a enhance version of mandrake that comes with a little extra goodies like java and flash already installed and best of all it's only one cd so it a faster download. how it's done is the iso is compessed and you can run it from cd or install to hard drive but it not as simple to install as mandrake if you don't know about linux filesystem. I started with mandrake and it's good to get some general knowledge about linux.

I found both Mandrake v9.0 and v9.1 easy to install. Only my Connextant internal modem wasn't recognised but my Ethernet link to Cable is so that was OK. The hard part is learning the arcane commands used in Linux. For example, I still haven't been able to configure Konqueror (one of its browsers) to install Macromedia Flash. This means when I go to our home page I cannot see the buttons on the LHS for the Menu. Useless!
    The only projects I ever managed to install were RSAttack which has ceased running and Distributed Folding. DF was running very well and I was proud I'd managed to get it to work until I discovered that I was not getting recognition for all the work my PC was doing. I didn't know how to create / install the unique username file in the directory. I couldn't locate the Mandrake equivalent of Windows Notepad.exe or DOS Edit.exe so I gave up. My computer still boots into Mandrake occasionally just to make sure it still works but I use WinXP 99% of the time.

there are rpms for flash or you can use the tarball. some text editor are gedt, kwrite, kate, kedit, nano, joe, xedit. the one I prefer is gedit for gnome and kedit for kde. About DF when you start the client it tells you what key to press to change user id.

Probly what is making linux so hard for you to learn is windows. I find it easier to use just one or the other.

I had heard poeple recommend Knoppix but I haven't tried it yet. I want to try one that is going to recognize all my hardware such as my ATI Radeon and my USB devices and MB built in Ethernet.

Mandrake didn't work with my onboard nic but pclinuxos did ad I also noticed there is support for ati. once you have some more experience you can build kernel .for whatever hardware you have.

I like knoppix, it looks cool, but, you can't install it.
    Computer Repair in Clarksville, TN
    http://ClarksvillePCRepair.com

I downloaded and installed Mandrake Linux 9.0 but for some reason it didin't recognized my ethernet card, i contacted them, even posted here that fact i got help but nothing made Mandrake recognize the ETH/Board...so i sau the Bionic post about that "take on pocket" linux versions that i have't heard ever on my life and picked one to exp. verrrrrrrrrrrrrry good it recognized all the hardware everyting ok, i went to one DC page and made a linux prod download but i don't know how to run a prog on linux !!!!!!!! :oops:, on windows i just 2click on a exe or com or bat file and it runs but on Linux i0'm a cromomagnion person... :P

I had the same problems trying to learn the arcane commands too. I got valuable help from Bionic Redneck's Linux commands guide on our site.

oh :oops:

i wasn't aware of that guide, my fault

Thank you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast