Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: # 1 in DC

WTG AMDdudes.. Your made pos 1 in the Vault

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Hehe

Yet again we reached up there. But it won't last long unfortunately, I noticed that Free-DC is still missing their Riesel Sieve (boinc) score... :roll:

I really wish some of you would get off this Free-DC kick. Free-DC(FDC) isn't even trying to place in the DC-Vault period. No if's and's or but's. We have people farmed out all over the place that have their farms crunching away helping their friends at other places and teams. I get absolutely ZERO hassles from anyone at FDC for coming over here and running psp sieving up to the top for amd_users or adding the points I've added under the amd_user flag. And I'm not trying to brag about anything here. What I'm trying to say is that FDC is all over the place. Go look at ARS Technica scores, you'll find even heavyweight hard core FDC member PCZ has been over helping them, as I and several others have. A lot of teams don't have members that are so tolerant of the outflow of computing power to other teams as FDC is.

What is different about FDC now days is that the team knows what it can do in sheer output numbers. And the team also knows what it can do in helping out other teams and projects. Projects are the name of the game now days. If an FDC member can go somewhere to help get some life and interest into a project then they will, and the team supports them in doing this. More thatn one distributed computing project has received extensive help getting set up, initial testing, and even provided use of needed computing equipment from FDC. And FDC is not alone in this either by any means at all.

A race, what is a race???? When the Dutch Power Cows do one of their "stampede" numbers with FDC, that is a race, and the guns are brought out and there is no mistake that it is a race. Of course it is all done with a lot of good natured ribbing and all. And Dutch Power Cows has kicked FDC's ass more than once. And there is a LOT of respect for each team by the other. Cause DPC has to work hard to do it. And that is a race. DC-Vault isn't even on the horizon in comparison to that. And one other thing I'll mention here, is that there are very few teams that will get out there and mix it up with DPC. If you are really feeling your oats, you might just go give it a try.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I'm sorry Brucifer, I didn't mean to annoy you or anything... it's just a serious case of addiction for stats that some of us got :roll:

Free-DC is still one of the strongest teams (in not THE strongest) in the world, and we have the utmost respect for them, but we being above them on public stats even if for just a day is like showing up on TV, it's a very very rare event. (unless if one is a celebrity)

But you are right, the DC-Vault's stats don't show a team's real computing power, so we shouldn't base ourselves on them for teams comparisons... but what can I say... stats are stats and we're totally addicted to them. ;)

P.S. - I don't totally agree with Bok's DCR either, but I honestly believe that it's closer to show the team's computing power than the Vault... Unfortunately it hasn't picked up much adepts so far.

Well Neogen, FDC is definitely not the strongest, we know that. It is a very substantial team though. Look at the Russians, massive horsepower there too, same goes with the Germans with Rechencraft and a couple others. I just mentioned DPC because they get involved in some of the same things we do. The overclockers are running hard too.

But you don't see all of them in all the projects. Lots of teams, lots of projects. And that is the problem with the DC_Vault and also Bok's DCR. They both only reflect a team's standings IF the teams happens to be playing that game. There's teams out there that show up on the two stats lists but who aren't really playing the game. They are more interested in pursuing the projects they are crunching on. And so in that vein, the DC-Vault/DCR give a false view of reality really. It's a real fun game for some to play, and if they enjoy that more power to them. And like someone else said, if it helps generate some more interest in some of the projects then it is good for the projects. After all, the projects are why we are all here in the first place.

But if people are playing the DC_Vault game, then please realize that everyone is not playing it. I think it is great that the team got to the #1 place and the team does deserve congratulations for that. I'm just trying to say that DC_Vault and DCR is not a true respresentation of how to determine the strength of any team because everyone is not playing.

And please don't take this all that I'm knocking AMD_Users because I'm not. Otherwise I would not have spent the time here with you. I have some very good friends here. I'm still adding points here. It's just that first and foremost I'm a Free-DC team member, and I'm crunching for you with the blessings of FDC. And then someone here trys to tell me that they are whipping FDC with points that I have helped them with................... ?????? If FDC reall thought that this was all serious, I'd be helping Free-DC get to the top of the vault. Just trying to inject a little reality and perspective in this is all.

A lot of the FDC members think quite highly of this team and are very happy for the team to see it maturing into a first class team that is making a a real name for itself as a serious contender in distributed computing. And in the serious contender world, they really don't run around trying to say they beat this or that other than IF there happens to be a mutually agreed upon race such as AMD_Users just had with TPC. And then that's done just for fun for the project at hand.

Serious contenders don't have to run around telling everyone how great they are, the other outfits know it and maybe that is the true point at where a team becomes one of the big ones. Because once a team gets to the point that they realize they are a power house, they also realize that there is much much more to this game than just points. The "points" are just the initial mechanism that helps the team reach the larger picture. I don't know if you follow what I'm trying to say here or not. But AMD_Users is a growing and evolving team that is turning into it's own unique outfit. And yes, AMD_Users has become a serious contender in distributed computing teams. But there isn't a true #1 among the serious contenders as they are all very unique and they all have their special interests, and you just can't measure them against each other because they are all different. They all make very substantial contributions to multiple areas. And yes, AMD_Users has reached that point in it's life, it has become one of the big ones.

I would just like to clarify that Russkris is from the DC-Vault I believe. He was the only one that said anything about us going #1. Neogen added that Free DC's scores weren't accurate yet.
    Computer Repair in Clarksville, TN
    http://ClarksvillePCRepair.com

Go back to the very first post in the thread and the member that made the thread subject, which is where the #1 entered into the picture. But the #1 wasn't the point of the whole thing. The point started when the conversation drifted towards the beating fdc thing based on using the vault as the judge with points crunched by a fdc user for amd_users............. something lost in the translation evidently. As the wife always tells me, whatever.......

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Reading from the top I understand your drift. The interpretation would indeed have been different if ruskris's post had been in a new thread. This happens from time to time when a new conversation starts up on the tail of an old thread.

We have always tended to benchmark against fdc because we both have touched many (almost all) projects and most of the time we are the chaser. No question the vault balance changed because the vault recorded results jumps by us in projects not frequented by fdc. It is more a sign of breadth than depth.

Good to see a liberal use of smilies.
    "whatever" You get that too?
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

And all I did was pop over to say a friendly congrats, and I get shot down, my Vault gets shot down...

Doesn't anyone have FUN anymore.....

Thank very much, and here I was thinking the AMD users was a great plae to hang..

Yeah! Thanks Guys,.... Ya realy know how to make a person feel good...

Russkris!

Don’t take it personally. Your purpose was good and you aren’t a bad human :!: Sometimes it happens another peoples have another option and it is their right and we will try to listen and be tolerant.

Even I have been critiqued for my not perfect English but I was thinking I should sleep on night. After that my emotional stress was away.

And you Brucifer make me surprised. I didn’t know your team is Free-DC and you yet are running for AMDusers. And that Bok is a friend to you. What a kind person you are. I will say a BIG thank from me personally for helping us crunch.

Lagu ;) :D
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast