Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got My New Computer

Got My New Computer

Hey everyone, got my new computer working after 2 reformats. :mad: 1st install of WinXP MCE went fine, but the USB drivers somehow were missing. So after a 2nd install, it's now fine.

Specs:

ASUS P5WD2 Premium mobo
    Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (I apologize for having an Intel processor here. :P )
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256mb
    Integrated Realtek ALC882 HD-Audio

Now that I have a faster computer (old one was AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.4GHz), I'm ready to hopefully gain some extra ranks in projects. Especially in the last few projects in this year's BOINC contest. :twisted:

This damn Prescott core runs way to hot to my liking. 60-70 degrees Celsius. And there's 4 fans in this case. The PSU, back fan, front fan, side fan, and CPU fan. :mad: This summer's heat isn't helping either...

It will be an excellent performer on Math projects like Seventeen or Bust, Riesele Sieve LLR or Prime Sierpinski Project PSP.

What do you think of Windows MCE?

congrats on the new compy ! I love that feeling that you have when you build a new machine, and get it up and running .... ahhh ... I want to build another one now! my next will be dual core, or FX.
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

MCE is good so far. It's too bad I don't have a coaxical outlet in my room, I can't use the TV feature.

Only reason I got MCE is because my dad bought it OEM w/ his computer before he gave it to me. But one good thing about it is I don't think I'll be needing a 3rd party DVD player.

have you done any sort of benchmarking.
    what score does it get on 3DMark (i think 2003 is in the downloads section here)

I'll do it right now. I'll be going to sleep in a few minutes soon.

And boy the Prescott core is a heat furnace! 70 degrees celsius! This CPU better not meltdown soon.

Sigh.. here's my results:

So how is this?

Pretty good for 3D Mark. Getting a high score in 3D Mark is very hard, i don't think i got much more than that, i'm sure mine was in the 4800 range.

You should be using 3DMark 06 from www.madonion.com

from personal experience 06 pushed my machine too far and not much would run whereas in 03 i runs every test (even though the harder tests e.g. the wildlife and water one test 5 i think.)

i think its better to use the slighty older version but have it complete all tests and give actual numbers/frames per second etc. rather than "failed to run" messages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast