Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MalariaControl Race

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I'm back! Stats will be collected at midnight as scheduled.

Not yet gamer, it's 10:45 pm here now. Just a little more... ;)

See i've not been getting into this whole "dumping" thing, I'm happy to just let it run and upload as and when.

Is that a bad thing?

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    No, but you get a disadvantage... because Boinc can queue a great number of workunits, people get a big load of them before the race starts, crunch them but without uploading the results, and then when the contest starts they upload all they got done and gain a big amount of points right at start.

Well I've done my Malaria :pottytrain5: although it's not as big as I'd hoped for because all my systems completed their WUs a couple of days ago so they've been just sitting there waiting! :cry:

spikey_richie, it's best to set your BOINC account preferences (within the relevant website) within "Connect to network about every" to a greater number of days as it determines the size of the work cache. Then once you have downloaded a load of WUs, suspend network activity on your BOINC client so it doesn't upload them until you're ready (when the race has started) then crunch away.

When the race starts, resume the network activity and start :pottytrain5: 'ing

spikey_richie i just let mine run aswell.

my opinion is that it takes time to validate anyway, so if i send my results back and the other has expired then the next request for WU would include mine rather than a result which has been returned by no-one.

We do lose out a little as sometimes they get validated quickly but there is an equal chance if we waited and dumped a load they would not be validated within the 5 days anyway.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123