Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Distributed Folding project ending in October

Distributed Folding project ending in October

Here's what was posted on the official Distributed Folding forum:

We would like to thank all of our users for their participation in the CASP 6 experiment. We have managed to predict a total of eight targets using DFP. While this is only a small fraction of the targets that were available, we chose some of the hardest ones to predict, and are anxious to see how the present method compares with our other more manual method, as well as other protein folding approaches, after the meeting in December.

After having put forth all our resources towards participation in CASP 6
    (http://predictioncenter.llnl.gov/casp6/Casp6.html), we now need to step back and conduct a thorough analysis of our results, as well as an in-depth evaluation of all the methods used, including Distributed Folding.

Having limited resources available in our Structure group, we are faced with the following options:

1. Continue running DFP with the current algorithm, tweaking code in the process
    2. Implement Boris Steipe's protein fragment libraries into the Phase II algorithm
    3. Modify the Phase II algorithm into a true genetic algorithm
    4. Shut down the DF project entirely to focus on development and improvement of our core algorithm via data analysis of available results

We feel that the project would benefit most from taking a break, namely the latter option, while we put our efforts towards providing you with a more robust, scientifically cutting edge platform.

We would like to extend our sincere thanks to all the users who have participated in the project over the past two and a half years. We are grateful for the countless CPU hours you have given us, for your improvement ideas, and for relentlessly testing any changes we made as we progressed towards better software. We have learned much about writing robust software, and we hope you have learned a little about the exciting world of protein folding.

With your help, we have been able to generate large amounts of scientifically significant data that has advanced our understanding of protein folding, and has enabled us to improve our folding algorithms, which may one day allow us to predict protein structure and folding pathways from sequence.

However, due to the aforementioned reasons, we have decided to bring the
    Distributed Folding Project to an end upon reaching the 10 billion target on the current protein or on October 1, 2004, whichever comes last. We truly hope that our loyal user community keeps checking back for future distributed projects, as we certainly intend to return with newer and better ideas.

With gratitude,

Christopher Hogue, Howard Feldman and the Distributed Folding team

Never ran it... But it sucks to see one go.....

Pls log into the members area and vote if you haven't already. There's only 3 votes!!! Me, Vaughn, and someone else.

shame to see it go but that meens we now have some extra power as ppl cant run this anymore.
    i cant seem to find where you have put the poll :S. if u give directions or pm or somehting i will vote when i find the forum/post

You may not have access to the member's only section.... That's up to admin to give you access....

k, fair enough
    can i request access then plz ? Or have a poll somewhere i can get to and vote in, thx
    i cant get into the "admin" section for obvious reasons but can get to the members lunge etc, where is ur poll

Oli

Hehe, I am the other voter.

It's a section right below the members lounge, and right above who's online at the very bottom. You can't see it if you don't have access.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerknurd
    Pls log into the members area and vote if you haven't already. There's only 3 votes!!! Me, Vaughn, and someone else.
    Since I don't seem to have access may I ask what the vote is about?

Wut 2 run in Sept.

I'm gonna try to get to 200,000 in Ubero then I'll run something else...

If I keep the pace i'm on now, I'll get it in about 17 days.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast