Thread: New BOINC Version v5.5.6

New BOINC Version v5.5.6

I've been having problems w/ PrimeGrid and my BOINC client (seems to think there's no General Preferences on the server, always using BOINC defaults). :? Went to download 5.4.9, then snooped on their DL folder and noticed 5.5.6 just released today.

The links aren't updated, but I've changed the version # in the link to get the change logs: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.p...6&type=win_new

* New CPU Scheduler.
    * CPU Capability detection.
    * Revamped logging solution.
    * Improved security for posix compliant systems. (Right now only implemented for the Mac)
    * Add support for file compression on upload.
    Now my only concern with this new version is... is it compatible w/ Crunch3r's "5.5.0 Windows"?

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    If you apply Crunch3r's optimized 5.5.0 you're "downgrading" it to 5.5.0. The core of the operations is on the boinc.exe file that gets overwritten by the optimized app.
    But you still get a probably revamped boinc manager v5.5.6. That doesn't get overwritten I think.

CPU capability detection? Does that mean it detects SSEx, MMX, 3DNOW!+ stuff?

AMD-User_Jr it may mean what you say though i find this unlikely.
    It think its more likely it detects the processor type/family. Some WU will only crunch on. specific platforms or with specific operating systems. But Boinc does this already stating the processor and memory, maybe now it actually uses this information in sending/requesting particular WU.

I started using this one, i have yet to move off crunching rosetta workunits for hours... it doesn't seem to be getting any new workunits from the other projects i have active.

Maybe it's the new New CPU Scheduler? It should still switch projects though i would have thought.

EDIT: Don't use, this is in ALPHA testing. See here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/alpha/

(i guess i need to go back a version now)