Thread: VTU@Home

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

VTU@Home

This is not a new project, but Vaughan created us a forums section just for it so here's a small introduction to anyone wishing to participate on it.

VTU@Home - http://boinc.vtu.lt/vtuathome/

The VTU@Home project is a test project for its author to learn how to work with the boinc platform, so that later he can start up real projects on it. Being a test project as it is, it has no scientific purpose whatsoever, and the work being crunched is most likely discarded, but even so don't let that keep you away from it. After all, the best way for programmers to learn is by experience, and what better experience to learn about boinc by setting up a test project?
    In helping the test project we are helping the programmer to gain knowledge on the ins and outs of the boinc platform, so that he can later create real projects.

So... what does this project do right now? Simple, it counts how many prime numbers there are within intervals of numbers. Not the most interesting thing in the world but enough to test the boinc platform in action.

To join the project, the usual procedure applies. Either use the boinc manager "attach to project" wizard, or go here:
    http://boinc.vtu.lt/vtuathome/create_account_form.php

After that, go here and click on the "Join" link to join our Team:
    http://boinc.vtu.lt/vtuathome/team_display.php?teamid=2

If you created the account by the site, just attach it on the boinc manager and start crunching away.

Is the project admin going to use the same project for the real ones? That's why i stopped crunching there, cause i wasn't sure if he was just going to make a new project once he finishes testing.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    He hasn't mentioned that anywhere yet, maybe it's still too early to tell. I'd say he still got a few problems to iron out before going to the real projects, like the suspending/resuming of workunits. (don't try it, totally crashes a workunit)

I would be happy if this was a kind of Pirates@Home project, where we would beta test the real projects apps before they went live. (Like in the old Pirates@Home days)

If anyone has a spare core or two we can gain an easy place in VTU@Home with a little bit of crunching. The tasks are lightweight downloads and take about 15 minutes each (on a machine running Win XP 32bit, 2.4GHz C2D processor).

It has apps for:
    Linux /x86 and /x86_64 as well as Windows /x86