Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone plan on trying this project

Re: LLR

Quote Originally Posted by wfgarnett3
    My project uses k*2^n+1. Really LLR includes PRP in it. LLR does deterministic primality tests for k*2^n-1, while it defaults to normal PRP mode for k*2^n+1 (which is a probablistic probable prime test). Iteration times are roughly the same. However, LLR is buggy while Jean updates it to be fast for certain -1 cases, so please continue using PRP. Shouldn't make a difference, but wouldn't want to jeopardize things. Thankx
    regards,
    william
    I have been active in Paul Underwood's 321 Search,and the 15k Search using LLR exclusively, and have experienced no problems with it. I believe that Jenne's newest build which took advange of some faster code (for small k values) had a few problems, earlier releases are not affected. I've only searched for primes of the form k*2^n-1, other than when running GIMPS, hence the question of the difference in the two programs.

Thanks for the reply, PRP it is then.

Hi SB2,

Just so I don't give wrong information, are you in my project (i.e. your name appears on webpage). If so, yeah continue using PRP, since we are doing k*2^n+1. If you are not in my project and would like to join, email me as per instruction thread so I may give you a line number.

If you are not in my search but test numbers of the form k*2^n-1, then stick with LLR all the time; don't use PRP. As you know LLR has huge speedup for small k so you want to use that. Plus, even if you aren't using small k mode, stick with LLR because "normal" mode isn't buggy. Plus I like what Jean did with LLR, he used the Lucas-Lehmer Riesel algorithm, so all the numbers you test for k*2^n-1 always report back if composite or prime. When it says prime, it is 100% prime, because LLR always does a deterministic primality test, so it is always correct and proves outright primality. Older PRP uses probablisitc probable prime test (I thinnk) which is 99% accurate, and doesn't prove primality, requiring an extra step of using OpenpFgw for Proth.exe to prove primality.

Hope that helps.

regards,
    william

Yeah, I looked around on the web after posting that and saw how wrong I was. Funny, I would have bet the farm that I saw mine say it had SSE2.
    I just love how Intel blasted the 64-Bit AMDs saying they were pointless and not necessary. A few months later they say they are working on them and how wonderful they will be. Sounds like something you would here in an election.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by wfgarnett3
    Hi SB2,

Just so I don't give wrong information, are you in my project (i.e. your name appears on webpage). If so, yeah continue using PRP, since we are doing k*2^n+1. If you are not in my project and would like to join, email me as per instruction thread so I may give you a line number.

If you are not in my search but test numbers of the form k*2^n-1, then stick with LLR all the time; don't use PRP. As you know LLR has huge speedup for small k so you want to use that. Plus, even if you aren't using small k mode, stick with LLR because "normal" mode isn't buggy. Plus I like what Jean did with LLR, he used the Lucas-Lehmer Riesel algorithm, so all the numbers you test for k*2^n-1 always report back if composite or prime. When it says prime, it is 100% prime, because LLR always does a deterministic primality test, so it is always correct and proves outright primality. Older PRP uses probablisitc probable prime test (I thinnk) which is 99% accurate, and doesn't prove primality, requiring an extra step of using OpenpFgw for Proth.exe to prove primality.

Hope that helps.

regards,
    william
    Thanks for the informative reply. I am not involved with your project yet, but as soon as we can finish off 321 Search to n=1M I will move a couple of the P4's over to your project.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123