Thread: New Project

New Project

Hey Everyone,

For those who are interested, there is a new project which is breaking 56-bit DES encryption. I know that this has been done before, but the students who have been given this (or are doing it voluntarily?) have only one month to break the encryption, so it finishes on May 16th.

The stats page is a bit confusing, but I think they have only tested 0.11511% of the keyspace, so there is still a fair bit of work left.

Apparently we can create a team, but I haven't bothered yet, since I don't know of any other AMD Users who are contributing to the project.

More info here: http://albin.abo.fi/~ernylund/des.html

Stim

P.S. Be warned, the client starts with normal priority, you may want to lower it's priority after starting it.

I thought this was 64bit but turns out that 8 bits are just for error checking and are then deguarded.

Re: New Project

Quote Originally Posted by Stim
    The stats page is a bit confusing, but I think they have only tested 0.11511% of the keyspace, so there is still a fair bit of work left.
    Actually, it looks like it is 31% percent complete now. I don't know I'm confused. But they have definitely updated the page and there is no other option now (there was before, and the 0.11511% option looked like it was "the one"), so I guess it is 31%. *shrug*

Stim

I have created an AMD Users team, so we get a little publiicity (but the project is small).

It is a little annoying, but if you want to join the team, you have to email them (bottom of the stats page), with your nick and the team name, but to get your nick on the stats page, you also have to email them with your IP address(es) and the nick you want.

Does anyone want to join me?

Stim

I sent them an e-mail, i was already participating on the project too.

Not much work done but i want to help this dudes, looking at they stats page i guess they are 1 day off the limit :? , let's see...

i'm in...

Quote Originally Posted by numibesi
    I sent them an e-mail, i was already participating on the project too.

Not much work done but i want to help this dudes, looking at they stats page i guess they are 1 day off the limit :? , let's see...

i'm in...
    That's good to hear. Do we have any other takers?

I think I'm pushing my luck here.

Tumppi is also running this project.

I saw the name "morte" in the stats list. Morte is/was in our Seti team list.