Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SETI sent me a letter, so I sent one back

SETI sent me a letter, so I sent one back

SETI@home sent me a letter attempting to get me to return to their fold, so I sent them one back:

SETI people;

Sorry, but I have become morally opposed to the goals of SETI@home. Here is the reason why:

If by any chance we were able to detect and locate intelligent life elsewhere in our galaxy, some bone-headed moron would seek to contact or at least send a powerful "here we are" signal in that direction. They could not be stopped. We simply don't have that much self discipline in our species.

People simply don't pay attention to nature and what it has to teach us. I'm not talking about human-nature, I'm talking about nature-nature. We reached this "pinnacle" of evolution and achievement by dominating this planet and its resources to the point where we are comfortable enough to search for life elsewhere. Well, it is my strong belief that we really don't want to find an advanced civilization or an advanced species, because what we are likely to find is another dominant species, and more than likely that means an advanced predator. This isn't science fiction - this is nature.

We simply have to consider how a species achieves success in their environment. The way we humans always have achieved success and the way every creature you will see on the nature channel achieves success is in one of three ways: 1) Become the dominant predator, 2) Reproduce faster than the environment or predation can kill off your kind, and 3) Become less accessible to predation by being swifter, hiding or staying out of reach of predators. Of these three, the greatest success has always been option #1.

Consider also how we humans reached our successes over the last few eons; slavery, wars and the threat of wars, theft of land and resources from others incapable of defending those lands and planetary resource abuse. If this path worked for us, what gives mankind the right to think that this same path doesn't work for other species? If we ever achieve the technology to contact an advanced alien species we had better brush up on our predation skills, we may need them.

In the mean time; I know I cannot dissuade you from your search so I won't even try. I do however thank you for the good work you have done to forward the cause of distributed computing. Presently my computers are busily helping to advance medical and scientific research in large part due to your group's historical efforts. I cannot wish you success, for I fear that space is not empty, but I do wish you well.

Steve Lux

Steve, that was a god reply and a kind one. I myself have run Seti as my first project because i dont feel about another project. But then I begin to think it is unrealistic think we should find another sivilication during our lifetime. It is also a waste of resources. We has so many problems here on the earth as the global heating and all natural catastrophe as follow the higher temperature.
    It must be better put our money where they is to benefit.
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I like to believe that if there are other species out there and they are more advanced and intelligent than us, then they won't start wars for no reason. Only primitive belligerent beings like ourselves do that.

I too received that damn letter from Seti, and I promptly wrote a dissertation similar to yours only thing is I did not copy the letter so I can't share. Similar in structure and close in my beliefs thanks for sharing.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I got a letter too. I signed up for it, but never ran Seti.. It just doesn't interest me at all.

My letter went into the spam box.

No more bother from them I should imagine.

I really like the Seti idea but feel that projects that may cure disease or extend life are more helpful.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    I like to believe that if there are other species out there and they are more advanced and intelligent than us, then they won't start wars for no reason. Only primitive belligerent beings like ourselves do that.
    Uhmmm..... how do you know? If there are out there, maybe they got to be that way by destroying everything in their path? Or like the 4th of July movie. Just caus it's on top doesn't mean it's nice and friendly or warm and fuzy.... mother nature isn't like that, so why should anything else be? Eat or be eaten. Why should the food chain thing be any different out in space?

But anyway I don't care to waste my bucks on seti either. I sent my letter to the big dump in the ethercloud.

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    Uhmmm..... how do you know? If there are out there, maybe they got to be that way by destroying everything in their path? Or like the 4th of July movie. Just caus it's on top doesn't mean it's nice and friendly or warm and fuzy.... mother nature isn't like that, so why should anything else be? Eat or be eaten. Why should the food chain thing be any different out in space?

But anyway I don't care to waste my bucks on seti either. I sent my letter to the big dump in the ethercloud.

Well, I hope your wrong Bruce. Because if that theory is correct then all Seti is doing is adding us to someone's dinner menu early. I got a letter also and remember why I only crunched for Seti for one day. I got to thinking that if we didn't try to fix some of the problems on this planet there won't be any thing left to find if another race did show up.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

This morning I got yet *another* begging letter from seti exclaiming how bad they need me, and they *also* need donations.... Why don't they just hound the people that are returning results??????

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast