Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Defender

Windows Defender

The free download can be found here : http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Looks OK so far!:let_it_all_out:

EDIT : It may be free now but it does expire on 31st December so you'd probably have to pay after that, not sure it is any better than Adware and Spybot though so it may not be worth the expense!
    Last edited by Strongbow; 10-25-2006 at 08:11 AM.

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    I think it came with the Vista I have running on a couple of systems. The longer we go the closer Windows come to being the "Apple shell" of old. Past computing for dummies and entering computing for total morons. Trying to make anything idiotproof is a pipedream. The world just comes up with better idiots. Then there are some of us that let one of the best run out country. lol
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

LOL

Hence your " How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?" comment!

I thought Defender had been out for a good while?

I certianly had something installed on my system before that would like to annoy me with pop ups eveytime I changed my home page etc etc. :gur:

It has been, but apparently this is the latest and last beta version! ...had a play with it for 5 mins now it is uninstalled!

I've just starting using AVG Spyware. It's free and seems very good.

www.free.grisoft.com

A few questions from Rip Van Conchis

First, I have used AVG for over a year-maybe 2-and it is quite good but I think based on recent notice it will no longer be free after December. Anyone?

My main question is if any here have any knowledge of the history of CPM, which came before DOS? I thought it was a quite superior OS at the time. It was also open source before that term became a retronym. I think IBM's entry and quick domination of the PC industry set software advancement back decades when they signed with MS to put it's 'protected' OS in their machines. All those making knock-offs had to follow suit, and now only the chosen few at MS could add anything new. Long live Thorvald! Comments? As the title suggests, I really haven't kept up, so I may be missing something fundamental in my viewpoint.-C

Not sure how the double post of my reply above happened, but couldnt figure out how to delete it. Can someone tell me where to click in case it happens again? I saw edit so thought this was better than a duplicate. Sorry. I'm old. I have to use a 'walker' for my mouse. The brain cells go fast. Abbey Hoffman once said "don't trust anyone over 30." I may start singing "Bicycle Built for 2" real slow any minute now. Apologies. Newbies that are senior citizens-what next?
    Last edited by conchis; 11-18-2006 at 07:06 AM. Reason: couldnt delete double post

Quote Originally Posted by conchis View Post
    First, I have used AVG for over a year-maybe 2-and it is quite good but I think based on recent notice it will no longer be free after December. Anyone?

My main question is if any here have any knowledge of the history of CPM, which came before DOS? I thought it was a quite superior OS at the time. It was also open source before that term became a retronym. I think IBM's entry and quick domination of the PC industry set software advancement back decades when they signed with MS to put it's 'protected' OS in their machines. All those making knock-offs had to follow suit, and now only the chosen few at MS could add anything new. Long live Thorvald! Comments? As the title suggests, I really haven't kept up, so I may be missing something fundamental in my viewpoint.-C
    I saw the notes as well but I'm not clear if the next AVG version is not free! Does anyone else know?

Oh yes, CP/M-80 that was my first real O/S I quickly moved to MP/M-80 on my Comart communicator and juggled the two on it - great O/S fairly similar to PC-DOS apart from the odd command such as PIP etc. but it worked perfectly - it's a pity the juggernaut stomped over it and we had to all start using the inferior PC-DOS. Hopefully lessons have been learnt and Linux won't go the same way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by conchis View Post
    Not sure how the double post of my reply above happened, but couldnt figure out how to delete it. Can someone tell me where to click in case it happens again? I saw edit so thought this was better than a duplicate. Sorry. I'm old. I have to use a 'walker' for my mouse. The brain cells go fast. Abbey Hoffman once said "don't trust anyone over 30." I may start singing "Bicycle Built for 2" real slow any minute now. Apologies. Newbies that are senior citizens-what next?

Don't worry there's quite a few over-30's here and we'll all join in if you start signing! LOL

AVG 7.5 will remain free, just search further down the page for it.

* Source: LangerList this week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast