Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Proteins at Home

This is what I did

Reset the project. The problem is pretty insidious to the point of killing explorer.exe on my system. If you reset you get a new set of WUs and so far the problem has not reoccurred.

Glad you said that, I found my systems explorerless (and BOINC had closed ) a few times, I was testing out beta BOINCs during the racing and I just thought it was due to that!

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Code:
    {Host} proteins@home 2/07/2007 3:27:44 PM Reason: no work from project
    DRAT !

Hey - I ended up with the top crunching computer in Proteins.

Quote Originally Posted by moderna View Post
    Reset the project. The problem is pretty insidious to the point of killing explorer.exe on my system. If you reset you get a new set of WUs and so far the problem has not reoccurred.
    What Version of the BOINC Clint are you running, if it's the v5.10.0 or up then theres a known bug in the Client that Kills the Explorer & your Desktop goes Blank or should I say theres nothing on the Desktop anymore.

I first reported that bug to the Alpha Test Group but they pretty much ignored me at first. A few days later I reported it again and other people started to chime in too with the same problem. David Anderson himself took a interest in this bug too and instructed Rom Walton to devote his energy to fixing it.

Since then they have released v5.10.11 & v5.10.12 with supposedly fixes to this problem. But with the v5.10.11 I still had it happen a couple of times, but the 2 incidents it happened could have been related to something else, I don't know. The v5.10.12 released is no good either mainly because most people can't get it to install, myself included.

If you experience this problem of the Desktop losing everything then it's probably because the Explorer.exe has been stopped, you can get the Explorer back by bringing up the Task manager with the 3 finger Salute (ctrl\alt\del) then in the Applications Tab choose New Task and just type in explorer & then hit Enter and you Desktop should come back without a re-boot.

Your probably going to lose everything in the Task Bar Tray too, I just manually start up everything thats supposed to go there & then fire up BOINC again and wait for it to happen again. With the v5.10.11 I've only had it happen twice so far, with the v5.10.7 & 8 I had it happen a couple of dozen times, so it less frequent now anyway ...

Geez, I'm still running down wu's...I guess I got a little greedy...

Leave a piece of Pi for me?
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

Ahh - so you are why I still have over 3,000 credits pending

that might be me too. I still have a days work left on a few computers

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender10 View Post
    Geez, I'm still running down wu's...I guess I got a little greedy...

Leave a piece of Pi for me?
    Proteins are good for you, make you strong and healthy!

But we'll leave some Pi for you guys, just see if you chew your food this time!

I'm almost done, this evening I think. I am also down to 1400 'pending'....Whew..
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast