Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TMRL - New Project

I'm not certain I like this project. Almost seems as if distributed computers are being used to provide processing power to hack passwords. Distributed computing equates to the world's fastest super computer.

That is why I've detached. They only got 2 WUs process from me, 1 was being uploaded (8mb WU too!) while I detached.

I'm not sure whether I can trust this project.

Is this project safe? i signed up and started crunching WU's. What should i do?

I did two WU and detached ... sounds to shady for me.

I will go with the general flow of people on here for this project. I'm not sure if i can justify my CPU time to aid password crackers.

I ran 3 units and stopped too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lux View Post
    I'm not certain I like this project. Almost seems as if distributed computers are being used to provide processing power to hack passwords. Distributed computing equates to the world's fastest super computer.

The thought of this flashed through my noggin when I read of this project. Whether or not that is what is actually happening here, it's just a matter of time before someone runs a project to do that.

How does John Q. Public know what is really in any work unit their system is crunching really? Unless it is from an acknowledged reputable project like seti, f@h, Baker Labs, distributed.net, etc. Boinc has made it really easy for people to throw up projects, and all too many people just join any and all new boinc projects and start crunching away to try and be #1. And then what is legal in one country may not be legal in another... So really it's all a bit of a wake up call for people to be a bit more discerning about what they are crunching.

Brucifer:
    So really it's all a bit of a wake up call for people to be a bit more discerning about what they are crunching.
    Exactly. With power comes responsibility. We expect it from our leaders, the same should hold true for us - unless we happen to think that double standards are acceptable. I think we would be foolish and irresponsible to help develop, test and potentially apply algorithims to crack passwords that may be protecting us.

Don't get on the train unless you know where it is going. In this case not only don't we know, but we highly suspect the destination.

Yeah thats the fact indeed to suspect the

destination.Well as sad know the destination before you board a train as such

similar with the case of cracking a password.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Hi Ronald. Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by AMDave; 01-17-2007 at 10:30 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123