Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: new tv, plasma finally

new tv, plasma finally

just hooked up my new 42" plasma(with HD receiver), and upgraded my signal from my tv provider and whoa! good stuff. now i have to build a proper cabinet(she's not liking me borrowing the coffee table,LOL) which has to be done before the SuperBowl, arrrgg, pressure!

edit:removed
    Last edited by NVM; 02-04-2007 at 12:13 AM.

After the Bears win the Super Bowl, you can turn it into your computer monitor...

cough, PS3.....

Nice TV! HDMI? You got a nice receiver to plug it into?

Since some one left the Team because of an electric bill, I just thought I would remind people that LCD Tv's have a rated power constant draw of 200 watts even for the lowest 42 inch unit out there. CRT Tube TV's only draw about 85 watts on average for a 27 inch TV. Just to give you some realistic ideas I would rather spend those extra dollars on Crunching for the team then playing games, unless you signed up for Bewes, What Pulse or other program keystroke counter!

Just food for thought.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    Since some one left the Team because of an electric bill, I just thought I would remind people that LCD Tv's have a rated power constant draw of 200 watts even for the lowest 42 inch unit out there. CRT Tube TV's only draw about 85 watts on average for a 27 inch TV. Just to give you some realistic ideas I would rather spend those extra dollars on Crunching for the team then playing games, unless you signed up for Bewes, What Pulse or other program keystroke counter!
    dude, lets look at it from this viewpoint. i just quit smoking(9 months ago) 2 packs of cigarettes a day(25 years) @ 8$ a pack which = ~$500/month! time to buy some toys. crunching is great, but RL is greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post

Just food for thought.
    How can you compare a 42" TV current consumption to a 27" TV? A 42" tube would draw far more than a 42" and give off a LOT more heat.

I bought an 84cm Grundig LCD tv last year. The picture is very good on the second unit as I had to RMA the first box. A week later the second one I bought which is a 68cm for the bedroom also failed. Not happy with 2 out of 2 new TVs failing. #1 got vertical and horizontal lines on it so the picture was patterned like the freshly mown turf on a soccer pitch. #2 developed a cancer-like color change. All the face color tones got green moss on the edges and this became worse as the unit warmed up. Orange and red turned green.

The replacement units are OK except #1 doesn't like having the volume up too high or the frame starts to resonate. The worst culprit is the actress who plays Samantha Nixon in The Bill. Her voice is quite husky and sexy but the Grundig just vibrates away so you cannot understand a word she says

I chose LCD over plasma as I had read that plasma is hotter, uses more electricity and suffers image burn-in. In picture quality of the display models in the shop they looked very similar to my eye. The nod went for the Grundig as I thought it had a quality German engineering reputation. It was replacing a crappy Sony 68cm CRT that was plagued with issues from day 1 (screen used to flicker like a fluoro tube, green color in the top RHS corner that degaussing couldn't remove, it had a picture tube replaced after 5 years). The other`incentive for the Grundig was a digital set top box and a better discount if we bought the two units.

Bad choice - you get what you pay for.

Enjoy the new gadget NVM. The PCs can crunch whilst you watch the Super Bowl.

I am holding out for the Sony XBR2 46 inch lcd. Gotta love that 1080p. I think I will hold out for a PS3 for a little while yet though...

btw Nflight, have you seen this forum?..

http://forum.folding-community.org/f...s3-client.html

and here's an advance blurb on the client:

This advance utilizes the new Cell processor in Sony’s PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) to achieve performance previously only possible on supercomputers. With this new technology (as well as new advances with GPUs), we will likely be able to attain performance on the ****100 gigaflop scale***** per computer.
    Last edited by NVM; 01-21-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast