Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 Million in Einstein@home !!!!

Milestones Today:
    AMD Users passes 150,000,000

The team is just over 175 million now.

I'm still grinding away trying to get into the top 250. Don't know if I'll make it. I have far more people catching up to me than I can catch up to.

Consider buying a new GPU, if it's within the budget.
    A GTX 760 or 770 will probably be more effective for Einstein than the GTX 580 that is now your weakest link (SP-wise)
    When budget permits: Buy a Geforce Titan

When you also crunch CPU WUs:
    Upgrade your 8-core Opteron to a 12 or 16-core, if it's within the budget.
    Does the mobo in question supports multiple CPUs? fillerup! (if it's within the budget)
    Upgrade your i5 to a i7, if it's within the budget.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-03-2013 at 06:59 PM.

My son upgraded his GPU and that is helping a good bit. His 4 core system is doing as much, if not more than my 8-core system.

Within my budget.... Well, I'm just getting over back surgery and was away from work for a few months with no income. I'll be playing financial catch up until the end of the year. Yes, this board supports multiple CPUs and GPUs. The CPU cores are a bit slow, so I'm not certain there will be much bang for the buck by upgrading the CPUs. I certainly intend to upgrade from one slower to two faster GPUs in the future. If it's within my budget.

Hi Steve,

I hope the surgery went well and the same goes for your financial catching up. Your 8-core runs on an Opteron 6128, a Socket G34 CPU that has dropped significantly in price over here (from 250 to 150 Euro's),
    so doubling the number of cores running in your system should be possible for a decent amount of money. As for the performance, the 6128 is a "Magny Cours" K10 family CPU, you can consider upgrading to
    a Bulldozer (6200 series Interlagos) or Piledriver (6300 series Abu Dhabi) CPU in the future. I hope Steamroller and Excavator-based Opterons will still fit in your present motherboard, who knows?

Hi Dirk,

I broke a bit of the bone off of L5 and it got wedged into the nerve cluster for my left leg. I also had a compressed disk. As the incident happened at work there was no short term disability. As my EHS Manager didn't file the paperwork within 24 hours, Workman's Compensation was denied. I may have to sue as it cost me $3,000 out of pocket plus lost wages. The sciatica was incredibly challenging to endure until I was finally prescribed Neurontin (Gabapentin). I usually heal very quickly so I went on vacation for two weeks expecting to be ready to go back to work when I got back. I wasn't. After I got back I had an MRI that showed the bone chip and compressed disk which was also pushing on my nerve cluster, so I had to have surgery. Not something I was really looking forward to, as you hear stories and see other people still suffering after multiple surgeries that nearly bankrupt them.

Anyhow I had what is called a Micro Lumbar Discectomy. Not long after I woke up from the surgery I was given a copy of the local paper and it had a level 2 Sudoku puzzle - not exactly challenging but it was something to exercise my mind. It took me 1/2 hour to find the first number, but my brain was slowly waking up from the drugs and within 1.5 hours I was finished. Then I got up and started wandering the room. When the nurse came by I asked if I could go for a walk and started walking the halls. After about 20 laps around the 2d floor they called my Surgeon; Dr. Esce, and got permission for me to go home. I had been in the hospital 9 hours, I was ready to go. When I got home I walked a block. The next day 2 blocks, the next 4 blocks and continued walking pretty much daily.

Now, after just a few weeks of work about the only thing that isn't aching is my back. Being laid up gets you out of shape quickly. I still limp on my left leg some, but that is only because the calf muscle is still weak. Not from pain. There is still some numbness at the bottom of my left foot, but I can deal with that. The pain being gone is the important part, but I still have a good bit of recovery to do.

Anyhow, I'm back at work with an income and even getting some overtime again. All is right in my world. I just have to play catch up.
    Last edited by Steve Lux; 07-06-2013 at 04:27 AM.

Good to hear the recovery went well!

BTW: 2nd hand Opteron 6128s can be bought for just 50 Euro's here, guy in nearby Delft offers two of them.
    Might start an Opteron server myself at those prices....
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-06-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Steve Lux became our first member to break the 25,000,000 barrier on Einstein, a day after B Johansson became our fourth 10,000,000 breaker.
    Congratulations with the result and respect for the effort!

Go team!

I see Chris Icide came back to Einstein. Come get me brother. It will do the team score some good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12