Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Catching up Update

I have two computers borged from work. The 2 core unit I use and an unused single core unit. As the software is on the USB ram stick and not on the computer I haven't technically installed software on the company computers. Also, as Pi-Segment runs at the lowest priority it does not seem to have any adverse effect on my system access. If I were able to borg all of the systems here at work there would be 40-50 more single core systems listed in my signature.

If the team has a problem with me borging work computers for Pi-Segment this I'd be more than happy to put them both back onto D20L.

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    LMAO No Steve no problem. Shoot you need some more memory sticks in my opinion.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

if i borg the comps at work, it's my call.

the IT guy can do anything he wants to.

What about the mall Mike? If there wasn't a tray icon on Pi I'd be down at the Best Buy, and Sears, and Radio Shack, right now.

My message is more intended for those that read our forums from afar

It's hard to get any privacy from other teams on this forum, someone needs to create a forum section for selected members to see and post in so we can have private discussions away from prying eyes.

You said it Evil-Dragon...
    I’m Dangerously Under Medicated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil-Dragon View Post
    My message is more intended for those that read our forums from afar

It's hard to get any privacy from other teams on this forum, someone needs to create a forum section for selected members to see and post in so we can have private discussions away from prying eyes.
    Hmmmm...... but need to have it set up like a project forum for only team members that are actively contributing points. But then this whole thing is like electronic warfare... side A does this, so side B counters with that, then side A changes to .......

But then the other side would do the same, and then look at all the entertainment for all the others that are just reading all about the ongoing war for their entertainment for the day.

Maybe you should just use email.................... but then this would all get like government with all the innies and the outties, the secrets, the vendettas, the outtings................ LOL You already have the facilities for this, called PM, and then no-one is the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil-Dragon View Post
    What friends?

... None of my friends are as nutty as me, sorry guys.
    All my friends, including my wife think I'm wacko... "You have how many computers??? WHY????"
    Let me brighten your day a bit; I am going shopping next week, yippee! NOW for the outlook of what I am shopping for is one Blade Server and ten Workstations.

I have been looking at CDW for the business account as I like SUN server's which use the 1207 pin Opteron mobo's but I need to have speed in doing calculations for the scientists who demand no waiting in making their waiting times as short as possible. So I have been looking at those HP Reliant Blades to which have the Intel ZEON quad core processors... My only question is => are these Quad cores the real deal or simply C2D in disguise. I will not be able to bring them online till sometime in mid April but hey it is the power to manipulate the decisions now before it is too late. Tell me my only friends I have, what is the best decisions I should go with?

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Nflight,
    From what I read the Zeon's are 2 C2D's but hey ask PoorBoy what those suckers can do! They have a little bottleneck in the L1 cache but nothing that really matters. You can't go wrong either way. But, this is just from what I've been reading and I'm sure that you have read more than I have.
    Last edited by Beerknurd; 03-27-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Nflight,

If you go for the Intel Quads then you'll get some oommpphh but really they are only 2 dual cores on seperate silicon (very good dual cores though!) so if one core needs to sync with a request from a core on the other side it has to go out to the Northbridge and back again, a bit of a bottle neck but the FSB is pretty fast nowadays being at 1.33GHz (for the multi-way servers).

If you're only looking short term and you need the power now then the Xeon 5300 range is awesome but their reign will be short lived as AMD will be bring out true Quad cores during the Summer (4 to 5 months at the latest) and these will have significant advantage with multi-threaded apps.

If you haven't any serious multi-threaded apps then start coding or wait till the ISVs catch up then buy your multi-way Quads as currently 2 x Dual Core Intels are faster than 1 x Quad Intel.
    Last edited by Beerknurd; 03-27-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast