Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3940414243444546474849505152 LastLast

Thread: Team Catching up Update

Quote Originally Posted by leavitron View Post
    Terry - when you update from single core A64 to dual core, do you have to do a repair on your OS to update the HAL to see the 2nd core? I have a single core in my server that I want to upgrade to a dual core, but I am afraid of having to do a repair install because it is my server. I'd lose all my shares, etc.
    Hey Leavitron, we don't live to far apart, I'm over in Mt Morris Mich about 5 miles north of Flint ...

Terry - when you update from single core A64 to dual core, do you have to do a repair on your OS to update the HAL to see the 2nd core? I have a single core in my server that I want to upgrade to a dual core, but I am afraid of having to do a repair install because it is my server. I'd lose all my shares, etc.
    The OS should automatically detect the 2nd core.

You should be able to get away with changing the motherboard as well and letting the OS install the new drivers as necessary but then i always tend to reinstall my OS if i change my motherboard (it's a habit thing)

When I Upgraded all my PC's to Core 2 Duo's from P4 HT CPU's last year it was about a 50-50 deal, some of them I had to re-install the OS & some I didn't, even though they all got new Mother Boards, Memory & Video Cards ...

Quote Originally Posted by PoorBoy View Post
    As far as I'm concerned the AR's Team is quite Lame with all the Outside help their trying to bring in to overtake us while we basically are just using our own Team members.

I see they have started another drive to recruit more people from other Teams. Thats ok, somewhere down the line it will be payback time when I can throw my PC's behind another Team to over take the AR's Team. I'll be spending a lot of time looking for the Projects they can be over taken and help out the Team trying to no matter who it is ...
    I've been reading both teams forums quite regular on this. This comment is rather misleading really. They aren't recruiting other DC teams members (such as DPC, FDC, NWSN, etc.), they are recruiting other ARS members from their other project teams. ARS names each project team as in Team Fried Tofu, Team Blueberry Pi, etc., as I'm sure you have noticed. So those are the DC teams they are after. Their "Dogs of War" is an old thing like what some members here are trying to do with a new Team Fusion or whatever it is, ie a Flying Squad type thing. Just thought I'd mention this as there appears to be some mutiliple interpretations floating around about who/what each team is trying to recruit.

edit: Changed Team Fried Yogurt to Team Fried Tofu. Sorry.
    Last edited by Brucifer; 03-30-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    I've been reading both teams forums quite regular on this. This comment is rather misleading really. They aren't recruiting other DC teams members (such as DPC, FDC, NWSN, etc.), they are recruiting other ARS members from their other project teams. ARS names each project team as in Team Fried Yogurt, Team Blueberry Pi, etc., as I'm sure you have noticed. So those are the DC teams they are after. Their "Dogs of War" is an old thing like what some members here are trying to do with a new Team Fusion or whatever it is, ie a Flying Squad type thing. Just thought I'd mention this as there appears to be some mutiliple interpretations floating around about who/what each team is trying to recruit.
    Thanks for commenting on this, Brucifer. I saw it but forgot to respond.

It is correct that we are in fact not recruiting from other teams as in other forums or sites. We are not recruiting from AnandTech or 2CPU for example. We have borrowed members from other Ars teams, just like you guys have. So in that regards, we are completely on the same page.

The other half of it, and where I have been concentrating on, is new recruits who have never done DC and those who have quit doing DC. I have had good success in this area. Ars is a tight-knit community just as you guys are. When they see that Ars is losing, they rally to the cause just as you guys do. In my case, I have a much larger pool to fish from. That is why people have seemed to come out of the woodwork, comparatively speaking.

No hard feelings, guys. This is all in good fun, right?

(We now return you to your regularly scheduled competion.)

EDIT: See, I even posted a Lounge thread about this. Oh wait, you cannot get into the Lounge unless your a Subscriptor to Ars. My bad! Okay, then there is the new gauntlet thread in the DC Arcana that you can read/post to.
    Last edited by leavitron; 03-30-2007 at 07:09 PM.

See, I even posted a Lounge thread about this. Oh wait, you cannot get into the Lounge unless your a Subscriptor to Ars. :
    We really need to do something like this, having the enemy in the strategy room doesn't make a fair war...
    I’m Dangerously Under Medicated!!!

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    Leav,

I see PoorBoy took very good care of your question. I've been gone all day checking on two MB's that it turns out I have to RMA. As you can imagine I'm not a happy camper. Four cores sitting here with their thumbs up their butt waiting on Asus. Since I'm here I guess I should post something that everyone running this will find interesting. I have been talking to Jianan and it looks like no one is going to "win" anything soon. He does plan on extending the project! But, there will be a 30 to 60 day gap between phase I and Phase II. So no clear cut winner to this race in the near future. Here's the e-mail I just got:

Hi Terry,

I'm recovering. Thank you!

IMO, I'd like to hold another half-year stage but it depends on some factors. First, Macwang, the provider of server have to agree to our plan of second stage. I have not discuss it with him but since he is so nice and enthusiastic in DC I think it's not a big problem. Second, I wonder how many users are willing to continue to participate in Pi Segment. Third, I'm not sure whether I have enough time to improve the project quickly before the next stage starts. As I ever said, I will release the source code of Pi Segment. That means I have to rewrite current client to avoid security problem. Also, I need to do some tests to confirm the system can bear the new task. These jobs will begin in May but unfortunately that's just the time I'll do the thesis defense which is important to my bachelor degree so it seems I may not have enough time to prepare the next stage of Pi Segment exclusively. Thus, it's very possible that the second will not begin just after current stage finished but delay for a month or even longer time.

For the score, I suggest it will be multiplied by a ratio and then sum to next stage. But it's only my point, not a decision. We need to discuss it with more people.

Thank you for your offer and I'm happy to be your guide when you came to Beijing.

Regards,
    Jianan Hao
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    We really need to do something like this, having the enemy in the strategy room doesn't make a fair war...
    you're damn right. they know every move we make or are planning to make. i vote for a password

Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    Reminds me of Dr Strangelove...

"Gentleman, you cant fight here, this is the War room!"

Love that film

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic Brillouet View Post
    you're damn right. they know every move we make or are planning to make. i vote for a password
    I second that motion, there's to many Spy's lurking from the AR's Team reading everything we have to say and then running back and Posting it in their Forum to give their Team something to feed on ...

Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3940414243444546474849505152 LastLast