Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows Upgrade

Windows Upgrade

Today I had one upgrade as was waiting for my response. I clicked yes and new windows opened where I could agree or not agree. The upgrade file was a tool for verifying my OS was legal.

You as have copies say NO but of course if you have one or more legal OS you know what you will do.
    I had nothing to hide why I accepted the file.
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Windows upgrade: They are selling Windows 2000 again?

Windows Update

Today I got a patch as I installed. It requires a restart of the OS.

To you as run D2OL: before you cloise the node run all 20 steps and then shout it down. If you chout the node down say when you have finished step 10 you lose these because there isn´t any check point menanig you must begin from scratch again.
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

You can still buy Windows 95 if you want it.

I still have a factory copy of NT 4.0 sitting around....
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

While I wouldn't be interested in buying win95 again, W2K I do like for crunching. XP seems okay too, but I have had no experience with Vista. Can you gut visa down to cut out some of the behind the scenes stuff? Does it perform comparably to W2K/XP as regards to crunching? I guess it's getting to the point that there really isn't much choice in the matter.

Then also there was a project underway to do a "clean" rewrite of NT. Can't remember the name of it offhand, but anyway I haven't heard anything more of it lately. Did MS shut it down, or is it still alive, or ???
    Last edited by DC_fan; 04-28-2007 at 03:29 PM.

what does Win95 have to do with anything?

ya got me. bender mentioned it in his post above.

I'd stay away from vi$ta, it has far too many issues (plus it demands greater hardware). XP will be supported until 2015 I think. By then vi$ta should be stable.
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Vista can be cut back to classic view which frees up vast quatities of memory :D but looks like Win2K so if you can put up with that, then your sorted.

I have WGA installed on both my windows boxes. Only downside is, I have recovery disc cos I bought the PC and laptop with XP already on and I wanted to make a unattened install disc for those reboots. Ah well I can cope with having the installers I need embedded on my portable HD. Which requires Ext2FS driver lol.

Windows Upgrade

While the Vista is still churning out those false positives I will wait a few years till they get the bugs out. Win 2000 and XP are stable and since they will be supported for years to come why change.
    I am looking into this OS to see if is what I need to pass all of you super crunchers with multiple systems: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx
    It is the HPC version of MS, although I am not a fan of Windows I can't get around the fact that Boinc is limited to the platforms of Projects I can run on. Lagu I hope you sort out your problems and not lose that valuable data either.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast