Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I.T. Qualifications

Lightbulb I.T. Qualifications

As many of you might know already, i am currently out of work and currently in a bit of slump. Recently i have been looking into I.T. qualifications and need some advice from AMD Users. I know many of you either work in I.T. or are simply I.T. fanatics (I used to be both) and many of you know where you'd like to be and what you'd like to do with your careers.

For this reason I need your opinions and advice. I am currently looking into doing an MCSA (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator), a MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician) and a CompTIA A+ (Computer Maintenance and Installation) qualifications.

In your opinion:

1) Is it possible and/or practical to do all at the same time? (MCSA = 4 exams, MCDST = 2 exams and CompTIA A+ = 1 exam)
    2) Is is beneficial to have such qualifications for getting a job and do you think is it what employers are looking for?
    3) Is there any qualification that you think is pointless having?
    4) Which would you say is better? CompTIA A+ or MCDST?
    5) Would you take out a student loan to pay for all the courses and exams?
    6) If you have done any of the above qualifications, how difficult are they?

Sorry there is a fair few questions, you don't have to answer them all but it would help me alot in deciding what is best to do with my future and qualifications.

Thanks
    Matthew

I don't know about mcsa or mcdst, But the comptia A+, (and Net+ and hardware) are easy if you know computers. You should be able to find study info online? and just walk in and test?

I don't know, I took these a few years ago. The course material must have changed. They were still teaching W98!! stuff when I took them.

I do most of my work with Active Directory and our Email client. But most of my time is expended resetting passwords and fixing corrupt email.

And then there is the Hardware side of support....I like hardware work (it keeps me on my feet). Corporate RMA is just as bad as personal...

Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

I.T. Qualifications

I may not be of any help but, I have more then 11 certifications over the course of 23 years of time. Having them really is not a factor it is having a consistent employment record at least here in the states. Jumping around experiencing life from many angles is what employers hate. ( personally I love to experience life from many angles) So I could not find employment in the IT field even after going to school for the 5th time since high school didn't help.

So I started my own business and of course it is not in the IT field. But I will some day need IT people just not at this moment.

In my honest opinion being over qualified is not good either. Try the A+ and or Net+, then look for a job......my personal view after taking many interviews and hearing why I did this and that and did not stay in that location for said period of time.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Maintenance Planner here (basically equipment scheduling and personnel + material logistics). Not much help for the IT thing.

I talked my son out of the IT field in college. What with all the jobs going overseas far too many IT guys here in the States are hard-up for work in their trained field. Law of supply and demand means that their pay scale has been on the slide also.

Evil-Dragon: Consider this: The A+ is the simplest of the tests you have picked, IMO. Granted, I've had mine since 97, when it still tested on DOS and Windows 3.1. If you then follow up with the Network+ (got mine in 2001), you can substitute those two for the elective in the MCSA. That is what I am doing, and what I am working on right now as a matter of fact. (I took the time to get my degree first, though.)

I don't suggest going into debt to do it unless your financially well-enough off that you can pay it off quickly. In my case I have a family to take care of so it's not possible for me. I have to pay as I go. Sybex publishes good books on exam preparation. You can get computer-based training (CBTs) as well. I have Test-Outs complete MCSE series of CBTs for XP/Server 2003.

If you want more info, drop me a note. (nick) at (Google mail) dot (commercial entity)

Ok guys, here's what i'm going to do:

CompTIA Network+
    MCSA (70-290, 70-291, 70-270 & 70-284)

I just got the Test Out MCSE, so it should help me out a fair bit (i can use it alongside my studies)

Great!
    I'm glad you could piece together a plan. Keep us in the loop. Maybe you can help someone else.

Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil-Dragon View Post
    Ok guys, here's what i'm going to do:

CompTIA Network+
    MCSA (70-290, 70-291, 70-270 & 70-284)

I just got the Test Out MCSE, so it should help me out a fair bit (i can use it alongside my studies)
    The Network+ is probably your best foot forward, the rest of the syllabus you have selected are as follows, 70-290 & 291 are now both difficult unless your very relaxed in Windows server 2003 active directory, the tests are very virtual, as in the exact steps to get something to work in real life is the same steps you need to take in the testing. I failed both tests

The 70-270 is the primary one for Windows XP and that one I missed only 2 questions out of 100, I studied till my mind was mush! The 70-284 is more aggressive and it took me two times to pass the blasted monster. Study hard, remember there is a fortune in schooling ahead of you, but those of us who have the drive to be successful will rule the world, or so they say!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I am going to start my XP training next month!!!

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    As I'm a developer, and my company is a Microsoft Certified Partner, I'm trying to get my company to "financially support" me on taking an MCTS.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...n/default.mspx
    Hopefully the .Net 2.0 Windows Applications, altough I think I'd also like the one of Distributed Applications (rings a bell to distributed computing )
    But certainly not the Web development... I hate web development.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast