Thread: PS3GRID (boinc for PS3's)

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

PS3GRID (boinc for PS3's)

The first DC project that I know of that is fully oriented to a gaming console!

http://www.ps3grid.net/PS3GRID/

Account creation NOT open...

Interesting except for the fact its not a native ps3 application like the folding@home ps3 client is. The way I read it, linux has to be loaded as a alternate OS to run their boinc client.

This is encouraging though, I've been waiting for a boinc client on the ps3, maybe in a bit they'll have a native version. Most exciting.

Yeah, they say one PS3 is equalint to 20 PC´s. Is that true? I think they not can play games at the same time. Peoples buy PS3 because they want to play not crunch but that is for peoples as not is avare of DCÃ*ng or isn´t interested of it.
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Yes the PS3's output is amazing in F@H.

Sony includes the F@H software as part of the applications pre-installed on the PS3.

That is how Doomeva's friend LukeGT_on_PS3 came to join our F@H team.

Cool

This gives you a good comparison. I've been running this on my ps3, and have done 63 work units. 2 or 4 wu's were from gpu folding on my ati card, and the rest on the ps3. Look at how few wu's in comparison I've run to get a score around the people shown below, and then look how many wu's they've done for about the same score. See the power comparison in how the points are awarded to a ps3 with 2 terra flops of power ? Nice

Rank, name, points, wu's completed

18 Blackheath 22320 946
    19 mitchell688 18010 63
    20 Daddygeek 15606 3057

It seems the last couple days have server issues for the ps3 at gpugrid. I haven't been able to download work units so I moved mine back to folding@home for a bit. If you have a PS3 on this project you may want to check and see if its getting work.

same here, except I moved to yo-yo instead.

I've moved there as well to give a work unit a try as its easier to keep track of the ps3 with boincview and linux installed on it.

well then, welcome to yo-yo. one thing to watch out for, at least in my experience lately, after it runs awhile (a few days) it gets slower and slower until barely running at all, a quick reboot clears it right up though. I think it's not clearing the application after a WU finishes. when it comes to a crawl, I check task monitor and find 10-20 "dnets" either running or waiting, after reboot there's only 5-6(one per core, though even then only one is running the others are waiting).

That is good information to have. I'll keep an eye our for it. I've also noticed my PS3 was able to jump back on GPUgrid. It is currently trying to balance the work between the two projects. I'll see how it goes at GPUgrid before I back off at yoyo