Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zebra RSA Bruteforce

Exclamation Zebra RSA Bruteforce

Hi guys and gals, another BOINC project for you to take part in.

Site: http://zebrabrute.ath.cx/zebrabrute/
    Account Creation: http://zebrabrute.ath.cx/zebrabrute/...count_form.php
    Team Link: http://zebrabrute.ath.cx/zebrabrute/....php?teamid=22

I would assume by the project title that the project works on brute force cracking of RSA.

I joined, but there is no work. Thanks for the info and look you are UOTD, Evil-Dragon.

Evil-Dragon is User of the Day! I don't speak German so I have no idea who this benefits, the public or some entity that will be making a profit off of some sort of gimmick. I am just speaking my thoughts here, I am not attempting to deter people from finding these types of projects. Please don't read through this with anger, I am thinking through this type of procurement. Who will this benefit, us little people or the criminal minds behind it all. Like I said I don't think like other people, coming from the Security minded professionals I affiliate with this is my course of thought.

Have a nice Day

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I joined....

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    Evil-Dragon is User of the Day! I don't speak German so I have no idea who this benefits, the public or some entity that will be making a profit off of some sort of gimmick. I am just speaking my thoughts here, I am not attempting to deter people from finding these types of projects. Please don't read through this with anger, I am thinking through this type of procurement. Who will this benefit, us little people or the criminal minds behind it all. Like I said I don't think like other people, coming from the Security minded professionals I affiliate with this is my course of thought.

Have a nice Day
    Amen to that! Cracking encryption codes does nothing for society or the human race IMHO.

Yea, I don't think I'm gonna mess with this one....... Google translation...

Everything is about a RSA-Smartcard.

- There is an Operating System on this Card.
    - This accepts only RSA-crypted applications. These Applications are protected by a checksum. This checksum is also crypted by an RSA key.
    - Known is the Key-pair for Applications, but NOT for the checksum.
    - There is no support anymore for this Smartcard.
    - We are trying to break the RSA-key for the checksum by Brute-forcing.

Goal:

- With the Key we can upload own applications to the Smartcard or upload a new "Operating System"
    - The key will be published. The Project origins from an idea in a forum.

* The Modulus is 512bit long.
    * public exponent is known.

Second goal (for me an all interested people):

-Understand RSA, primes and develop an effective Bruteforcer.

I am a Computer Sience student. Greets - Darkscout

I think if you crack the RSA one you get 10,000 USD.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I'm in it! I've made studies on RSA cracking a few years ago.
    They say the project goal is to break the cypher of an old RSA-smartcard that is not in use anymore. The lenght of the key is 512bits.
    512 bit keys and higher have already been broken on RSA's own public challenge, and RSA has advised people to make keys 1024bits or longer for many years, so I don't think breaking this old key will harm anyone.

But, from what I recall from my own personal studies, "brute-forcing" is... an immense waste of computer cycles... when there are amazing algorithms out there (GNFS comes to mind...) capable of breaking RSA keys with a very small fraction of the computer power spent by brute forcing.

For some reason I doubt this project will be around very long...

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Depends on what kind of support it will get... Primegrid is also another brute-forcing project and it has been around for quite a while. ;)
    But I like PrimeGrid because of the "other side" of the project, that is developing the PerlBoinc platform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast