Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Users Competition 2007 - FINISHED

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

AMD Users Competition 2007 - FINISHED

Here it is!
    Like every year for the past two years, AMD Users comes up with a competition to shake things a little and for everyone to show what they've got!

This year is no exception so here we announce the AMD Users Competition 2007!

Well, last year's boinc championship was great, so I took that model and made some fine tuning to it, and added a few new things.
    This year's competition will be, like last year, a Championship once more, with short 5 races where in each race the top 10 will earn points, 10 points for #1, 9 points for #2, and so on... until 1 point for #10 on the race, and everyone below will not get points. The Championship Winner will be the one who has the biggest sum of points in the end of the 5 races.

Now last year I felt that the races were too short... 5 days only, so this year I'll try something a little bigger. Each race will be 7 days long, and after that there will be 2 days of break for resting and setting the machines ready before the next race.

Last year we only raced on boinc projects... so I thought "What about the people that don't like boinc?"
    So this year, there will be parallel races on boinc and non-boinc.
    Each race will have effectively 4 winners, two boinc and two non-boinc. Oops, I didn't talk about the regulars vs pharmers yet...

Yes, like last year, there will be a "Regulars" and a "Pharmers" league. Anyone capable of crunching above 700 credits/day on average is a "Pharmer" (Last year the mark was set at 600/day). Remember that this is an average, I can't specifically know what each person makes. But for example if after 3 days, an individual has 2300 credits, he's a Pharmer. For non-boinc projects I'll have to define the mark yet.

The "official" race clock is my own. My timezone is now GMT+1, and every race starts at 00:00 of the scheduled day, and ends at 23:59 of the last day (Remember... times are in GMT+1). That is the time when I make the absolute first and last stats collection for each race. Intermediates will be done when I'm home to start the process, never less than once a day.

Here's a preliminary schedule for the races. If anything beyond my control happens (projects go down, lack of work... etc) I may be forced to change it... let's hope not. (EDIT: Several changes already happened and the contest hasn't even started... it's impossible to escape destiny!)

May 19 -> May 25
    RACE 1 - Rosetta@Home vs D2OL

May 28 -> June 3
    RACE 2 - PrimeGrid vs Moneybee

June 6 -> June 12
    RACE 3 - SpinHenge@Home vs Pi Segment

June 15 -> June 21
    RACE 4 - Tanpaku vs TSC

June 24 -> June 30
    RACE 5 - Proteins vs Folding@Home

July 3 -> July 9
    Pi Segment (Race 3) Rerun
    *Due to technical difficulties of the project the Pi Segment race was suspended.
    *We are now going to restart it to give everyone a competitive chance.

Championship pages with current standings:
    Last edited by NeoGen; 06-22-2007 at 10:03 PM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    By the way... one well known way to get big points, at least in boinc projects, is to start crunching a little before the start and dump the finished workunits after the race started.
    This might work on non-boinc too, but I don't know...

I know some people still know this from past competitions, so I thought I'd teach the newbies the trick...It's only fair...

EDIT: Beware the due dates on the workunits. If you send them after the date most projects don't award points anymore.

Well, I don't participate because I'm only have a CPU too slow...

Please, keep the fair play ;)...
    Remember, I speak only spanish :S

Hi Superzerocool,

I hope you will participate. This is a "Race" yes. But, this is also a AMDuser 'Community' gathering (did someone say Barbecue??). All cpu's are welcome !!

So Yes, come crunch with us! Remember, the projects we 'Crunch' are the BIG Winners here. And we get to have a little fun at the same time.
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

I hope i get my new parts soon!

I might start on Tanpaku on Monday cause i'll have finished my ABC points buildup by then.

Looks like a good schedule

One question though - I crunch WCG for MoT. Do I need to switch to AMD Users for your stats to work?

Does anyone know of any programmes that can be used with BOINC to build finished WUs up and dump them on request?
    Before BOINC: 8778 Seti WUs Crunched

Looks great. Time to finish my huge queue in BOINC before I stock up on Tanpaku.

I'm in.

that's what I'll be doing for first two races while I get the pharm up and running again

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Does anyone know of any programmes that can be used with BOINC to build finished WUs up and dump them on request?
    BOINC itself? ;)
    Set it to a high number to connect to the server and get work, crunch them all then allow BOINC to access the web again.

Isn't the WCG one not that good? At only 60% of the CPU some people might get annoyed it's not using 100%?
    What about TSC? Similiar to D2OL if I believe rightly.

Also isn't EON down a lot of the time? Or at least takes a while to get units? I know there's a severe lack of non BOINC chemistry projects otherwise.

Also supposdely Primegrid is more a cryptography based project according to here...
    http://distributedcomputing.info/projects.html
    Maybe you could replace it and Dnet with Riesel Sieve (Boinc) Vs Riesel Sieve (LLR non BOINC) Or at least add it as a seperate race?

I may join in on a couple of races on the non BOINC platforms (CBA changing teams on BOINC from TPR to AMD) Possibly just the Dnet one...Mind I'd prefer Dnet RC5 over OGR
    Just a shame thats about when I maybe going home as well...

Just some points I thought I'd raise.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast