Thread: You can install Vista Upgrade without XP

You can install Vista Upgrade without XP

An interesting acticle.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/14961
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

I have a XP Pro licensed copy and I didn't want to install on top of an old copy of XP . So, I bought a copy of Vista ultimate and installed this way and it works.

I just had too many issues with Vista (32 bit). I uninstalled it and reinstalled XP Pro. I believe that XP crunches faster than Vista. I will try it again later after SP1.

I just installed Vista Business 64 bit for the 3rd time :D
    This time it is permanent ... I think ...

Anyway, so far the only problem seems to be my audio driver, but I"ll get that worked out eventually.

EDIT: Wait a sec, I just realized that I installed it on a bare drive like the article lol...
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

I have been running Vista 64-bit for about 4 months now on two machines. One is an Intel Core 2 Duo machine and the other is an old Athlon 3000+ Barton. While it is slightly sluggish sometimes on the 3000+, mainly because the HD is slower, I have been pretty happy with it and haven't had any problems or programs that wouldn't run.

Keith

The only minor issue I had was with my NetGear wireless LAN card as NetGear say that they do not (and will not) support 64bit Vista. However, the OEM for most of their cards is Atheros and they have written drivers for pretty much all O/S so finding a Vista x64 drivers was fairly simple.

Apart from that hiccup I'm very pleased with it - UAC is a pain and will stay switched off - the Media Center update is very good!

Reliability, OK so far - well I installed it onto virgin disks and have had no crashes! so it's looking good!

Mount Perry, Florida. Home to Florida's only snow capped mountain.
    I have Windows Vista Ultimate running on three 64 bit AMD dual core computers. The results with Boinc's SETI@home seem to vary on each machine giving spurts of good results next to long periods of slow results. I can't quite figure out why. Two of the computers use only Bonic's SETI@home, everything else is shut down on them.
    Please Visit The Land Of Mount Perry, Florida. Home to Florida's Only Snow Capped Mountain. www.mountperry.com Here in Mount Perry, anything can happen and usually does.