Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SHA Project ... !!!

SHA 1 Collision Search is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in XXX.

So what is this project really about ?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    SHA 1 Collision Search is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in XXX.

Other than Sucking up more of your CPU Cycles I don't have a clue ... ... None of the Pages work at the Site to find out anything else about the project...A Google Search brings up little info either other than some sort of Collision (Of what ?) ...
    Last edited by PoorBoy; 06-22-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    I found this article on the web quiet interesting and informative. http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...a1_broken.html Kind of gives you an idea of what they are talking about is security related in the computer field. This next link goes into greater detail of explaining:
    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...nalysis_o.html

My Personal View makes this project seem more like Hashclash and or the MD-5 Crack then anything else.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

In Nflight's signature....

"That sure is a nice Flag ! I like the color scheme, I would love to know what country I am flying?"

I bet AMDave or Vaughan could tell you... This may have been addressed in another forum... If so, SORRY!!!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!! OI OI OI!!!!!
    Last edited by Beerknurd; 06-22-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerknurd View Post

In Nflight's signature....

"That sure is a nice Flag ! I like the color scheme, I would love to know what country I am flying?"

I bet AMDave or Vaughan could tell you... This may have been addressed in another forum... If so, SORRY!!!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!! OI OI OI!!!!!
    I LOVE AUSTRALIA! (Australia is defined by the beautiful singing twin that go under the name The Veronicas hahaha)

My exam period just started and I'm extremely tempted to order a ticket and run (MADave, if I cant get in with the Origliassos, I'm heading your way )

Hi guys this project owns .Its for finding insecurities in the hashing algorithm sha-1.The fun t hing is we can try and help take down something created to hide information and yet not get in trouble for it

As we have discussed in the past, not many of us are interested in assisting some shady organization with cracking security algorithims that are designed to protect our banking and other information. I can tell you for a fact that I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lux View Post
    As we have discussed in the past, not many of us are interested in assisting some shady organization with cracking security algorithims that are designed to protect our banking and other information. I can tell you for a fact that I'm not.
    X2
    -----------------------

SHA Project ... !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lux View Post
    As we have discussed in the past, not many of us are interested in assisting some shady organization with cracking security algorithms that are designed to protect our banking and other information. I can tell you for a fact that I'm not.
    I have read as much as I can about this project, there is nothing spoken that you mention about a shady organization using this development tool to break and use against us. They intern are determined to make sure that this code of SHA-1 is really as secure as it is supposed to be. I have read the latest article dated October 24, 2007 which states the two different universities participating in this effort. Not once is any misnomers mentioned stating these are people are attempting to take advantage of the rest of the world with breaking this code. I do not know where your insight about shady organization came from but from my readings this afternoon, nothing is near your disbelief. I would rather find the hash here on line then to have someone do it themselves and use it against us later without our knowledge.
    http://www.isgtw.org/?pid=1000711
    Once the SHA-1 Hash is found; (maybe found), the rest of the world will alter there secure habits effectively and quickly. You will not be put at risk.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    Once the SHA-1 Hash is found; (maybe found), the rest of the world will alter there secure habits effectively and quickly. You will not be put at risk.
    After reading your ref, and then finding a couple more, I follow what is going on. One would think though that all that related info should be accessible from the project page on the respective boinc project web page. The SHA-1 is going to be replaced anyway according to the references. So this is different than the earlier project that Steve Lux was referencing.
    Last edited by Brucifer; 11-01-2007 at 06:03 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast