Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

Welcome Home Frederic, Long time no see!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

If i see your avatar Frederic i can tell you: i'm also a slave of such a "thing"

DSC00169.JPG
    Greetz,
    Chris

Hey Nflight! Good to be back

Nice cat Chris, mine's starting to get old. Already 14 years old. I hope we can still keep him here for a long time. He's been very lucky twice now (knock on wood) because he has been hit 2 times by a car, the last time however he was paralysed in his back legs for almost 2 months. He is still a bit wobbly on his back legs now though and can't jump on things anymore like he used to.

Hey All My name is Dkl for the sake of the net. I am the founder of Logic Labs Formally Knows As X-Logic Labs we fix computers on the cheap. we also do things the others wont example re-solder your laptop power jack. Anyway Ive been out and away from the Computer world for a wile just getting back into it. I have an AMD Logo on the back of my neck. AMD Gave me my first brand new bord chip and ddr back when ddr was a new thing it was a Athlon 2000. they gave away fifty at a mall in the middle of the night. I i was one of the lucky ones who got to retire there k62 . I know some people swear by lintel and if you give an lintel a task it will rock it. however.....the user experience on an AMD system when i have way too many windows open and im watching a movie and im peer to peer and perhaps even encoding something as well is second to none. I was really dissaponted to see apple not jump on the AMD wagon when the ditched the power pc type chips..... anyway all that being said im here to help here to stay ive been out of the crunch for awhile last i was here GPU crunching was in beta. Ive reopened the lab and quit my day job. I dont have too many amd systems at the moment because i only sell what im proud of. you may have come in the shop with an old intel ... and hey ill fix it no problem but if you need a new system or replacement system your leaving with An AMD Quad core system that costs less now than what you paid for that p4 when it was new ......ok alllll that being said ...I have a lot to offer the team but i need yalls help. BTW i have gotten scores of help from jason dirk and dave already. so here is the current situation.for the last three years ive been working 350 days a year no joke. im going threw my inventory tossing the p2 p3s ive collected ive set 3 more p4s aside ive got no problems setting them aside for a permanent crunch till they die im not sure who i should be asking but let me know what project you want them on and ill make it so. second issue.... every repair or image ( i have a contract with a rent to own place) is getting the boinc client on it installed as a service wont run wile in use or on battery network always available .....the hord is growing people slowly but steady i will have over 100 hosts by the end of the year. in case anyone is wondering yes they are aware its on the computer ive tried to get as many people excited about it as possible. i have all of them linked to BAM ...and its working pretty well a few things to figure out.. so to get to the point i need help deciding what projects need to get run on cpu and which on gpu to be able to run multiple projects. i saw mention that the gpu needs one core to run ... hell i dont know but i can change the settings to all the hosts remotely. so as soon as i can get some more help with that the more numbers i can push .... one more think yes i know im rocking alot of intels right now but hey ......I was going to throw them out even the xeon blade ....later... crap one more thing i have 15 or so netbooks with apus any luck with those ...anyone getting them to do a gpu crunch .....also i have 12 macbook g4s ready to hit ebay anyone ever crunched on a mac?
    Last edited by Logic Labs; 07-30-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Fixing computers on the cheap could be a common denominator in this group! My own introduction to AMD was a 386SX-25, with 8 slots for 30-pin SIMMs.
    It came at first with an astonishing 1MB of RAM! Nowadays I rely on three AMD Llano's plus as much HD 6670s for my main source of credit.

Hi everyone:

My name is John MacAlister and I have been crunching for various BOINC projects since November 2010. I have also added over the years crunching for projects Folding at home, POEM at home and GPUGrid. I am primarily interested in humanitarian research in the areas of clean water, malaria and other 'tropical' diseases, cancer and Alzheimer's. Over the years, I have used a variety of AMD processors and currently have three AMD machines in production - #1 is an AMD FX-8350 based PC running W7 64bit; #2 id a 1090T with W7 64 bit and #3 is an A10 5800K Win 7 and Linux 64 bit. I will install Linux on the 1090T over the next few days. In addition, I am considering a new build with either another FX-8350 or an Opteron 12 core CPU. The Opteron appeals as I would be able to add another 12 core CPU later. Does anyone have experience with the Opteron, would another FX-8350 be a better alternative, or is there another alternative I should consider - 6 core or /4 core APU? All/any advice would be appreciated as I am getting a bit concerned about the cost of adding more computing capacity, both from the standpoint of acquisition and running costs.

Many thanks!

John

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Welcome John.

Aye, building is half the fun

Power efficiency vs cost has been a trending topic for a long time now.
    Dirk has contributed numerous threads in our hardware forum which are interesting to read and a handy reference when looking to build and purchase.
    When you decide what you want, I hope you can find it using the affiliate links (top menu).

I'm a long time linux user. It's my weapon of choice.
    I'll be interested to hear as you go along about your linux experience, what distro with what equipment etc.
    We have a forum for that too. Feel free to kick off a new thread.

Thanks for coming to the forum and introducing yourself.
    Its always great to make the acquaintance of a fellow cruncher.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Hi John,

Nice set of hardware! As for your future system: The more cores, the better the ratio watt/gflop. A FX-8350 is thanks to its 125Watt tdp not the most efficient, but the FX-8300 has a 95Watt tdp and as much cores.
    As a 12-core Opteron automatically means Socket G34, you could also consider a 16-core. It will be the same PSU, the same RAM, the same mobo. A dual G34 can have 32 cores, a quad even as much as 64.
    The (Piledriver based) Opteron 6366HE has a tdp of only 85Watt -and has 16 cores-, you can't get very much more efficient than that at the moment.
    The slightly older (Bulldozer based) 6262HE has the same tdp and number of cores and costs 500 Euro's here, only slightly more expensive than most 12 cores -and cheaper than some.

Hi, Dirk:

Many thanks for the info. The Opteron does appear to be an interesting option and I am looking into requirements and costs....

John

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Hi John,

Nice set of hardware! As for your future system: The more cores, the better the ratio watt/gflop. A FX-8350 is thanks to its 125Watt tdp not the most efficient, but the FX-8300 has a 95Watt tdp and as much cores.
    As a 12-core Opteron automatically means Socket G34, you could also consider a 16-core. It will be the same PSU, the same RAM, the same mobo. A dual G34 can have 32 cores, a quad even as much as 64.
    The (Piledriver based) Opteron 6366HE has a tdp of only 85Watt -and has 16 cores-, you can't get very much more efficient than that at the moment.
    The slightly older (Bulldozer based) 6262HE has the same tdp and number of cores and costs 500 Euro's here, only slightly more expensive than most 12 cores -and cheaper than some.

Looking into VM with Ubuntu.....

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast