Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

Hi John, Are you running VM under Ubuntu, or running Ubuntu in a VM?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Hi John, Are you running VM under Ubuntu, or running Ubuntu in a VM?
    Hi, Dirk:

I am running the Oracle VM under Ubuntu. I am just starting to learn this beast and there is a steep learning curve for an old guy.....it looks very interesting, though. I will take things slowly with my manual 'Linux all-in-one for Dummies' at my elbow, and I am sure it will be worthwhile.

John

Fascinating stuff, VMs. Makes it easy to run several OS'es on the same physical machine. I never went further than four:
    Windows XP, Win98SE, FreeDos and OS/2 on the same machine. Surfed the internet for a while using Arachne under FreeDos in the VM just to upset web stats.....

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    John, you have picked an interesting subject matter to get into.
    You will learn a lot and have fun doing it - I hope.
    Remember that any failure is merely a stepping stone on the road to success.

Nflight, may (or may not ;-) ) recall witnessing the ridiculous output I achieved about a year or so ago with 99 linux VMs across a mixture of linux and windows hosts after I went our and bought enough RAM to max out all of my mobos at the time.
    I finally ran out of RAM and couldn't get the 100th VM to run, but it was very cool to watch them spewing out the work units and maxing out the bandwidth for a while.

FTR I was using KVM on the big linux machines and VBox on the smaller windows hosts.
    I cut my VM images down to the absolute minimum after several replication attempts that tried to gulp more disk than was available.
    In the end each image was very small on disk and ram.

It was an interesting and learning experience.
    The command line control of VMs is very powerful indeed and worthwhile learning.

What I would recommend doing is keeping a diary of an exercise like that.
    I do tend to keep notes on learning experiments like that, but some of what I learned then has already been forgotten and my notes were not well enough kept (mostly due to the excitement of getting it to 'fly').
    It's hard to learn but quick to forget, I'm afraid.

I still have pencilled in a follow up activity to do something similar with Linux containers (LXC) to learn more about them.
    I have come across more articles recently at LXer news which will help so I'm looking forward to my next deep dive, probably around January/February 2014.
    unless I can do something before then.

I hope you enjoy the scenery on that road, John.
    There's a couple of tight turns, a few bumps but some terrific scenery at the destination ;)
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Thanks, all:

Quite a ride.....I have one VM running and am taking it very slowly. I'm not sure I started with the right machine: the A-10 5800K appears to balk at setting up additional VMs and I have had to dive into the VM manual (shudders). I have installed Ubuntu on the 1090T machine and have some driver tweaking to do before that runs properly. Being retired, I figured it was better to squeeze more out of my current physical assets rather than investing in another 8 core (the FX-9590 is priced way out of my league: it sells for $1,015 Canadian after taxes). I have reached the hardware limit and now want to push for more results from these silicon beasts. I will report from time to time, but the journey will be longer than anticipated.

happy crunching!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
    John, you have picked an interesting subject matter to get into.
    You will learn a lot and have fun doing it - I hope.
    Remember that any failure is merely a stepping stone on the road to success.

Nflight, may (or may not ;-) ) recall witnessing the ridiculous output I achieved about a year or so ago with 99 linux VMs across a mixture of linux and windows hosts after I went our and bought enough RAM to max out all of my mobos at the time.
    I finally ran out of RAM and couldn't get the 100th VM to run, but it was very cool to watch them spewing out the work units and maxing out the bandwidth for a while.

FTR I was using KVM on the big linux machines and VBox on the smaller windows hosts.
    I cut my VM images down to the absolute minimum after several replication attempts that tried to gulp more disk than was available.
    In the end each image was very small on disk and ram.

It was an interesting and learning experience.
    The command line control of VMs is very powerful indeed and worthwhile learning.

What I would recommend doing is keeping a diary of an exercise like that.
    I do tend to keep notes on learning experiments like that, but some of what I learned then has already been forgotten and my notes were not well enough kept (mostly due to the excitement of getting it to 'fly').
    It's hard to learn but quick to forget, I'm afraid.

I still have pencilled in a follow up activity to do something similar with Linux containers (LXC) to learn more about them.
    I have come across more articles recently at LXer news which will help so I'm looking forward to my next deep dive, probably around January/February 2014.
    unless I can do something before then.

I hope you enjoy the scenery on that road, John.
    There's a couple of tight turns, a few bumps but some terrific scenery at the destination ;)

Hi John,

For the price of one FX-9590 you can probably buy ten A10-5800Ks -that already have a nice GPU included with them- outperforming the output of a FX-9590 as well.
    An A10-6800K is even slightly more powerful (and expensive) than a A10-5800K and both will also fit in next generation of motherboard -FM2+.

Be sure to fill the mobo with as much RAM as possible when trying to run additional VMs, for a quad I recommend 8GB and for each VM that runs on it an additional 8GB -if you set them up to be virtual quad-cores and running BOINC on them. Normally 1 or 2GB a VM would be enough when you simulate a single core CPU.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-23-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Hi, Dirk:

Thanks for the tips.

The journey continues with VM being set up on the FX-8350.

Bon dimanche!

John
    Last edited by John C MacAlister; 08-25-2013 at 03:08 PM.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
    ...I still have pencilled in a follow up activity to do something similar with Linux containers (LXC) to learn more about them.
    unless I can do something before then...
    I found some time and I got my first real LXC running properly this afternoon. No more need for KVM/QEMU VMs.
    I wonder how John C MacAlister is going?
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Cool Hi!

Hey there, I recently joined the team and hope to contribute a lot both to the many projects that are running and to the team itself in the future ^-^
    My specs are:
    FX-6300 with a mild OC to 3.8GHz, planning on clocking it higher when I can be bothered
    R7 265 clocked at 1050MHz with 2GB of GDDR5 at 1500MHz
    I generally run SETI@home on BOINC for 5-8 hours a day, my total credit at this point is around 17,000 and my average credit is about 1,000.

Welcome to the team ghettocomputing, That looks like some new equipment to lead the charge and find some aliens, if we ever do? Again welcome to the Team effort and a few more Team Members will be stopping in to say howdy too!
    Last edited by Nflight; 01-07-2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Can't spell worth crap

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast