Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

Thanks both of you, and I've changed my signature now too, couldn't work out what was different but that was it!
    Also, I have now got a prime number to my credit in PrimeGrid as well! Unbelievable, all this time I've been trying to no avail, then the first week I join your team and I find one! Annoyingly, I was too slow to get my name against it, I'm just the checker, but still, it's a start and makes me happy. Need to find some more now!

Welcome KarmannGaz and congratulations on your first prime number. Persistence pays off at Primegrid. I know I've had plenty of CPU and GPU hours crunching that project. I think Sophie Germaine primes are still the "easiest" to find, but they are still darned hard to catch.

I have trouble catching Sophie Germain WUs in the first place, let alone finding primes in them.....Passed the 100 million mark at PrimeGrid without finding anything worthwhile yet!
    The 'P' from my middle name could as well have been meant for persistence.. (But actually stands for Pieter)

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Welcome KarmannGaz!

We are happy to have you here, and sorry to hear about BOINC UK shutting down. If anyone else you know wants to come by and say hi they are welcome to.
    I'm curious about Radioactive@Home as the project has had little news for a couple of years already. Do you know if there is an easy way to order one of those geiger counters to attach to PC? Their old batch orders have been closed for a long time.

Thanks all!
    BOINC UK hasn't shut down as such, they're still there, it's just the forum that's been shut down. To my mind, that's a bit silly, nobody can communicate with other members now (unless they already know them as friends or email/whatever). How can you play as a team when you can't talk to anyone else in the team? It's just a blind points accumulator as far as I'm concerned now, took the fun out of it. I'm glad to see the AMD Users forum seems to be well used anyway, there is still life out here in the BOINC world!
    Regarding the Radioactive@home project, I don't think there's an easy way to get hold of a sensor (geiger counter) for it any more. The guy who was the mastermind behind it (Szopler) was only doing it in his spare time, in batches of about a hundred at a time, and he put a message on the news page there about a year or so ago saying he couldn't spare the time any more, so was standing down. The project itself is handled by BOINC Poland now, one of the other founder members (Krzysztof Piszczek) is still around and responds to messages occasionally, but I think he was the software man, not hardware. The circuit diagram(s) are on the message boards somewhere (there are a couple, v2.61 was the latest and best design), and it's easy enough to get the components, but the two sticking points are the circuit boards to put them on, and there's a microcontroller chip which needs programming with the software (firmware) to control the sensor and send count information over the USB line to your computer. The code is available on the message boards, but you'd need to be familiar with compiling C code (or whatever it is, looks like C to me, but I'm a mainframe man and not much experience of C and its variants) plus a programmer tool to zap the code onto the chip. I'm quite happy soldering it all together, if the circuit boards and programmed chips can be got hold of. I've been searching for them on eBay for ages though, and none have turned up. That's a puzzle, as over a hundred were sold, yet there aren't nearly that many showing up on the Radioactive@home world map. There must be some unbuilt or part-built kits out there, but I don't know where. It's interesting though, there always seems to be a trickle of people wanting sensors. I might have another look sometime and see what's involved in programming the chip and how much it would cost to produce a run of circuit boards.

Both Chris Skull and me have obtained a sensor from KarmannGaz, Chris by sending KarmannGaz his own, partially completed, sensor and me by buying a sensor that KarmannGaz had left over.
    Though a tad more expensive, a sensor could in theory also be built using a Raspberry, an Arduino-to-Raspberry shield, a radiation board and some other stuff (mainly the geiger counter), though KarmannGaz warned in the past on the Radioactive@Home forum that this built-your-own may not be able to communicate with the project (just as I have with connecting the Raspberry Pi -with SenseHat- to the various Quake Catcher Network projects) .
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 02-28-2017 at 06:52 PM.

KarmannGaz we also have a chatty Facebook page which gets daily activity along with our Forum. Please feel free to ask to join: Welcome to the Team effort...

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Hello everyone. I have also come from Boinc UK the Team with no communications. I have been crunching since 2006, I started on WCG, and progressed to most other projects. I prefer Biology and Physics projects but am running the rest too. I also have a radiation monitor very kindly put together for me by KarmannGazz.
    Last edited by euphoriabuzz; 03-25-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Hi Euphoriabuzz,

I saw you an hour earlier when checking my -and the team's- radioactive@home stats. So now there's four of us! We still have a working forum, and a facebook page as well.
    Hardware-wise we're fond of AMD-based systems, but we apriciate performance where and when we see it (we have some fierce ARM crunchers here as well, and i7/Xeon fans too).
    I started with Seti@Home somewhere around 1998 (then crunching under an IBM-account), later switched to the Ctg-team (my agency then) and when that fell apart -when mass redundancy hit us- I went over to AMD Users, as I have been an AMD user since my 80386SX-25 days. What are you crunching with?

Hi thanks for the hello. I am currently using an AMD FX 8350 8 CORE - and an AMD Radeon R9 390 in my main cruncher, my secondary machine which just chugs along is using a ATi /AMD Radeon HD 6570/6670/7570/7670 series (Turks). I have today migrated all my projects over to the Team apart from Primaboinca that didn't have the ''join team'' option available on your link and Ralph that was down. I shall have to keep an eye on it all as BAM has already reverted me back to Boinc Uk on half my projects, I have reset them again but shall check again tomorrow night. I requested also to join the Facebook page about two weeks ago but have been blocked. I am not online as much as I used to be but appreciate being part of a Team where I can join in and chat as and when I have time.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast