Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

Hi, My name is Richard and i live in a small village called Hurworth-On-Tees in the NorthEast part of the UK. I have been building my own PC's since 1999 when i decided that the PC's on sale at the time were a rip off. I started off on AMD K6-III 500's then Athlons ( Thunderbirds ), Durons ( Applebred's ) and Athlon ( Bartons ) then onto AMD64's and FX-65 and Opterons. I am currently running a Phenom II x 6 1090T which is still quite punchy but looking forward the getting a Ryzen. Been a big AMD and ATI fan from the get go and like to run projects when i can.
    Currently i am not working due to a medical condition which means i spend a lot of time at home with our two cats while my long suffering wife goes to work.
    The power of Jambon.

Nice to make your acquaintance Viper68 aka Richard. You will find we are a very chatty bunch and appreciate people like you looking for a home to find quality information and nice people to work within resolving any issue you might have in working the DC systems we all enjoy.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vyper68 View Post
    I started off on AMD K6-III 500's
    You had a good start! My 2nd AMD system had a K6-III 400 (running @450MHz). Those were days....still have that system somewhere on the attic.

BTW: you can also find us on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AMDUsersTeam/
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 09-26-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Welcome Richard. Yes go get a Ryzen they run well. Threadripper is a little too expensive for now.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Welcome Richard. Yes go get a Ryzen they run well. Threadripper is a little too expensive for now.
    It all depends where you live: A Ryzen 7 1800X is just as expensive as a Threadripper 1900 over here -and the Threadripper mobo can be filled later with better CPUs (and much more RAM too).
    See my thread on building a 16-thread cruncher in 'Hardware'. Things are different in Oz...an unhealthy AU$140 between Ryzen 7 1800X and Threadripper 1900X

BTW: Prices for Ryzen 7 are slowly dropping (here at least), while Threadripper and EPYC remain stable.

Ryzen 7 1700 vs Threadripper 1900X, note the difference in time scale.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 09-28-2017 at 12:54 AM.

I have sent a request to join the Facebook group this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    You had a good start! My 2nd AMD system had a K6-III 400 (running @450MHz). Those were days....still have that system somewhere on the attic.

BTW: you can also find us on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AMDUsersTeam/
    The power of Jambon.

I permitted your entry to the group about an hour later sorry I do sleep here on the East Coast or the other side of the pond for your blokes. Pretending Jolly humor, not to irk anyone either!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    I permitted your entry to the group about an hour later sorry I do sleep here on the East Coast or the other side of the pond for your blokes. Pretending Jolly humor, not to irk anyone either!
    No problem, i don't expect immediate replies to things, we all have lives outside of the internet and Facebook - thanks for approving it.
    The power of Jambon.

Hello I'm Michael (aka Miguel - long story involving being born in Argentina to English parents during a military dictatorship) I'm 39 and currently based in Argentina for health reasons however do research for the University of Sussex in England. I started the Distributed Hardware Evolution Project in 2003 whilst doing my PhD and unfortunately had to shut it down as my subsequent employer was very demanding. However I always yearned to restart it and now 14 years later I've packed in my other job and am doing just that. The results gained in that short period are still the best in the field even 14 years later proving it was a worthwhile research direction. We're about to finally publish the results in a good journal (so far they're only in an internal paper http://users.sussex.ac.uk/~mmg20/files/garvie_sc.pdf and my thesis http://users.sussex.ac.uk/~mmg20/files/thesis.pdf) and always acknowledging the contributions of this wonderful community - the first paper explicitly mentions AMD_Users . Now it's been quite a bit of work to get this working and I'm seeing the distributed computing community has changed somewhat and is almost saturated with projects so I'm wondering how many people will be joining dhep.

My last desktop was an overclocked Athlon, but that was a long time ago and have had iBooks and mac books since then as have had to be mostly on the move.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Hi Michael

Welcome to our forums!
    It's a pleasure to meet the creator of DHEP. I did not have the pleasure to participate back then, but I recorded our team's performance on it in our Wiki: http://www.amdusers.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=DHEP
    Indeed, the Distributed Computing landscape has shifted in ways that I never imagined, and it is a bit saturated yes, but I did not have the opportunity to try DHEP back when it was first out so I'm going to make sure to not miss it this time around.
    Now to try and install it and get some CPU cycles going

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast