Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

I'm Clint

Now 46 years of Age and still single, no intention of frustrating my life with women interuptus (Wiley Coyote - super genius)! As you can see I have never really removed the fun of computers out of my mind.

Graduated from College in 1983 with a degree in Electronics and Computer Technology including a FCC General Radiotelephone license (able to operate TV and Radio Stations). I recently graduated from School in July 13 2006 from the last school I attended (New Horizons). I have gone to five schools and acquired 19 certifications in various areas of expertise (not just computers), I am a jack of all trades (literally).

I have no children so I substitute them with two cats, small, cuddly, warm, and fuzzy creatures, who need as much attention as I can give out.

I own a small Bio-Energy Consulting Business that is getting bigger daily it seems.

I have 2 AMD 4200+'s and have owned nothing but AMD since 1992, in fact my school in 1982 & 83 used nothing but AMD's to teach me the things I know now! The 8080 was my first processor! - Oh how I miss Keypunch!

Quotes from other mentioners of who we are; Leon Nice to meet you, Richard nice to see you too, Jorge nice to see you here, Kyle nice to make your acquaintance, Jason as your such a fixture here hope to see more of you in the future. And Stuart your Quote for this post is "But I Want More", don't we all ~!

And to the Future Dr. Brillouet; calling Dr. Brillouet your needed in Room AMD right away!

I participate in over 25 Boinc & 6 non-Boinc DC Projects ( Not all at the same time)
    Last edited by Nflight; 07-06-2007 at 03:23 PM. Reason: my name & added another increment of Boinc Projects

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I'm Joe, 51 this June and a Licensed Electrician for 33 years. I run a small Tool Repair business at the local Nuclear power plant, Dominion's North Anna Nuclear power plant, and I am employed full time at a elevator controls business where I wire guess what...elevator control panels. I am a three time motorcycle drag racing champion ( yearly points ) on a 72 Kawasaki H-2 three cylinder two stroke, and a Nationally ranked #7 drag racer in Super Gas ( 9.9 seconds quarter mile ) in 1991. I also ran a motorcycle engine performance shop here at home for 5 years, my specialty being 4 stroke head porting and two stroke cylinder porting.
    I have been married for 26 years and have two grown kids now both out of College.
    I am waiting patiently for North Anna to start construction on the new Nuclear Unit 3 where I hope to repair tools full time again and work that job until I retire it is 20 minutes from my house instead of over an hour drive to my regular job.
    My first love in DC work was Seti and I guess it still is, but I have devoted my computers power to real science work hoping to help find a cure to some disease and help humanity.
    My computers include a X2 4200, XP 3200, XP2500 times 2. All on Asus boards and home built.
    I came to Team AMD USERS from Team Virginia Tech because while they had a fair number of crunchers, there was no team home page and no real interaction between members...I find this rewarding to be able to communicate with you all and there are so many different people with so many different job skills that it makes it fun to just be here.
    I crunch folding@home and rosetta mostly and some seti now and again for fun.

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

I'm Chris, a 20 year old student at Leeds University in the UK. I'm studying Fire and Explosion Engineering. I've just finished my second and will be starting my third in September.

I've recently taken up Archery as a hobby and I also airsoft. I enjoy modding items to provide a non standard function. I've modded my Xbox to allow me to run it as a media centre and have also modded a Linksys NLSU2 to run as a webserver and DynDNS updater. I do enjoy gaming and aim to buy a Xbox 360 soon.

I'm only a forum member as I crunch for Team Phoenix Rising, an international team like AMD Users but with a more British focussed userbase which up until recently, met regularly at one of the members pubs.

I have owned a few computers but after some recent poor results and a lack a of money, I sold off some of my rigs and built myself a smaller one. I now own an AMD 3200+ system I put together myself and a Intel Core Duo 1.6Ghz laptop. Only 3.6Ghz of power (well 5.2Ghz really if you count the core duo as 2x1.6Ghz..). I'm a linux user and run linux on my main desktop but not yet on my laptop. (wait for warranty to expire)
    Recently been tempted by a Mac Mini but must resist.

I started crunching on SETI classic but moved over as soon as I found BOINC. After a while I crunched Folding@Home for a year before heading back to BOINC after I felt single core CPU's were no longer welcome at F@H. I now crunch Riesel Sieve and CPDN.

I'll refer to this thread...
    http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4006

Best Regards
    Bo Eriksson

A somewhat retired IT guy

I am a 53 year young, somewhat retired, IT guy. I started computing in college and have never had a job that was not computer related. I have done the rise in the corporate world thing (the higher you get the less interesting the job), tried the academia thing (moves too slow), owned a software company (pretty fun when you have good customers and a good team) and have done independent consulting (not enough patience). In all of this I have been deemed something of a cowboy always working, pretty successfully I might add, on the ragged edge of the industry.

I found an increasing emphasis by customers on the process of building software rather than the production of working systems so I decided it was time to do something else for awhile. I bought a trashed, repossessed house a couple of years ago and am doing most of the work myself. It is nice to be able to touch, or kick, what you make for a change.

Have no idea what I will do next. I have recently got pretty hooked on sailboat racing as crew on a friends boat. Maybe I will get a boat and just sail away.

Obviously my name is Steve. I am 47 years of age and my birthday is on the 26th of August. Born to a dirt-poor family, as I was growing up I worked from the age of 10 as a farm worker through high school. In my Senior year in high school I took the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) test and achieved the highest score in the county's history (only missed 1 answer on the entire test). Consequently I joined the US Navy's Submarine service as a Nuclear Missile Technician after High School. On my own I also received cross-training as a Fire Control Technician, a Navagation Electronics Technician, a Torpedoman and was about half-way through my Sonarman training when I left the service. This was where and when I was introduced to computers and programming. After my 6-year stint in the Navy I went to work for Alcoa and have been there for the last 23.5 years. I started off pushing around a grease buggy and doing clean-up, worked my way through Maintenance Mechanic and Maintenance Technician, now I'm the facilities' Maintenance Planner. Presently I am in school to get my Maintenance Journeyman's certification + card. I was taking flying lessons to get my pilot's certificate but had to stop just prior to the solo to take the Maintenance course.

I was married for 9 years and have two fine and healthy sons. I have been divorced for the last 17 years and have not dated since. For six years after my divorce I worked for Simutronics (http://www.play.net/gs4/) on the development team of their GemStone product as GameMaster Romulus - mostly developing and writing code for the Sorcery profession - for practically no pay, but it kept my mind busy and too tired to be depressed. My personal best achievement there was in writing much of the early code for handling arrays, especially 3-dimentional arrays - sorting routines, cell editing/modification code, etc.

Last fall I purchased 640 acres of land in northern Washoe County, Nevada - where I intend to move to when I retire to become a gentleman farmer in 12 years, 1 month and 18 days (as of this writing - but who's counting?). The land is 8 miles from the closest neighbor. After 8 months of effort I have finally secured a Right-of-Way/Right-of-Access from the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) to actually drive to my property and an address. Part of the contract with the BLM requires that I maintain the 3-miles of roadway to my property. Since then I have purchased a Ford 850 dump truck and a 12-ton trailer. I am in the process of purchasing a road grader which I will fly out to look at from the 13th through the 22nd of July (07). The equipment will also be handy when I cut out a 3,000' air strip before I purchase a Cessna 280 in about 10 years.

Generally I live a very frugal life and save much of my earnings. I'm big into recycling and reading up on technological improvements, especially those which will make us humans more effecient, or get us back into space or out into the solar system where I think mankind belongs.
    Last edited by Steve Lux; 07-08-2007 at 07:23 PM.

wow Steve, I'll have to say that you are a bit of an inspiration to all of us, well, me at least. looks like you learned how to manage your income! (I am really bad at that) sounds like a dream with all that acrage though! wow
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

As with everyone; early in my career it seemed to take everything I could earn just to get by. One of the big differences between my ex and myself is that I feel no significant need to one-up anyone else, nor do I particularly care what others think concerning how I should live. I have found that people's expectations (wants) get them into far more trouble than their actual needs.

The trick is to assess your situation and your expectations, modify and review as needed, make a plan, figure out how to work your plan and then stick to it. I was unable to do so while married, hence the "not dated since" part of my previous post.

Hello.

My name is Antonis. I am 20 years old, from Greece.

I have just one pc running boinc, with a 3200+.

Welcome Antonis,

Nice having you around. Ask whatever you want, crunch whatever you want.

That's our motto, well it wasn't, but it could be lol.
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast