Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

hay you Dr. lol stay away from ABC :P :P and talkin smack on the Q6600 too,,, gheeshhhhhhh lol. the 6600 can do a 7000k Rac on RS,, not shabby sry boys

but im a Intel man and always will be the Dr. almost built me a 9600 but i put

my order in for the Q9450 and am not sry i did

like i said you guys got a great guy when the Doc joined yuns,, take care of him or ill convince him to come home :P

There aren't very many of us in the upper end of the rankings that have resisted the Q6600's power. Very good bang for the buck even without overclocking. I'm looking very hard at another with the tax rebates coming.
    Last edited by sentient_life; 04-27-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic Brillouet View Post
    PhD in what?
    Computer Science, Of course.

I have been working with computers since 1972.

I have also worked for companies such as AST, Compaq,Digital and Xerox.

I just can't leave them alone and they have some how got into my blood...

And for some crazy reason I keep dreaming about fortran..

Must be that old Commodore 128 sneaking in..

If Cow's could fly we would need bigger wipers for our cars.

what no vic 20 ? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dan Morris View Post
    Computer Science, Of course.

I have been working with computers since 1972.
    ah, another that isn't a spring chicken. I left uncle's employ in 73 and went to work for a publishing company taking care of their assorted computers. My toy was a dec pdp8e, paper punch, ocr, and was quite handy with some computer classes at the university as the other's had to load stuff up on punch cards. I just typed the stuff up, punched out a tape and ran my stuff before turning it in to school on the cards for grades. Was a pretty expensive toy back then too. Those were the days when the data centers were major bucks, time share and all that. I was lucky with the job I had. Spent a couple years there, then got bored and went back with uncle sugar so I could play with the good stuff again. It's been an interesting ride with the computers, the ultimate tinker toy to me.

Glad to see you found a new home Dr.Dan. We are going to miss you over there, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Thought I would follow Cappy's lead and say Hi! Hope to hear from you. You AMD guys are getting a good guy.

yo Dr. Dan you have MAIL at your Morris Cronicals Addy,, being i CANT PM YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrr lol.

Hay nice to cya Crazy im glad to see you came over to say Hi to the Doctor,, well done bro, well done. Glad to see someone did.

So there I was, quietly, slowly sneaking up on PoorBoy. Quiet as a mouse to not raise any suspicion - to take over 1st place from the uber-cruncher in Proteins@Home when he's distracted... I check the stats and Wack! I'm in 3rd! Arrgh!

Welcome to the party Dr. Dan T! Good to have some more help for the team.
    Last edited by Steve Lux; 04-30-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Hello All warning this is a ong post lol!

I joined the rosetta@home team, and so i came here to see the community and such.

I am a proud AMD user, ive had a lot of AMD machines, all of which have served me faithfully and so i am heavily branded to AMD, and why is this??? Simply because they are solid, and yes obviosly have allways been better priced than the intels, anyhow lol AMD FOR THE WIN!

Ok , my name is Karl, i am 27 years old and i live about 5 miles away from Oxford in England, i am a pc "enthusiast" and also a herpetologist, working in a part time job...telesales but i will be changing to another line of work at some point soon and i have been computing since the 86's of old, lol

Currently im running boinc/rosetta on three machines, listed below

Newest machine my new baby *strokes it*
    CPU - AMD athlon x 2 5000+ brisbane "black editiion" SKT AM2
    RAM - 2gb generic duel channel 800fsb DDR2
    MOBO - ASrockALIVEnf6g? - vsta
    HD - 250 gb low end maxtor sata 2 - 8mb cache

My old machine
    CPU - AMD Sempron 3100+(@1.81ghz) SKT 754
    RAM - 1GB kingston ddr 400mhz
    MOBO - ive forgotten the model to lazy to check
    HD - seagate 250gb IDE 16mb cache

My other sides machine
    CPU- AMD 64 3400+ SKT 939
    RAM - 512mb ddr 400mhz
    MOBO - MSI something or other
    HD - 180gb maxtor sata1

So i should be able to crank out quite a few cycles because 2 of the machines are on most of the day

ok i need to tell you all what made me jump into the AMD boat with no life raft, it was that k7 that did it, i had a barton core 2500 .... 333mhz , 512 L2 cache unlocked multiplier, it sealed the doors to intel, that thing would chew up vast quantities of work with little fuss, the thing was a workhorse, the fact i had it running 2800mhz on stock components without so much as a blink
    or a glitch ....i love that cpu , i will tell you the truth the k7 barton ripped the guts out of my k8 sempron in terms of performance but i actually sent it to a freind in the phillipines, and its chewing up information as we speak, so it was logic that i would choose the BE Athlon XP, in simpletons terms i just saw it as 2 bartons on one chip !
    Im ashamed though to say while buying the parts for this machine i almost went intel, but then i had memories of the evil p4 i once owned, although INTEL have higher FSB and other apparant advantages i could not justify spending 70% more on a cpu that did not have an unlocked multiplier and the quality of processing i have become used to with AMD, also this simple fact...this entire machine ..just the tower cost me around £230, and its sat in a coolermaster elite 340 case, with 2x thermaltake 120mm fans and an 8 series Nvidia graphics card, 2gb duel channel ram....this machine is my dream AND it has come true, i can encode a 2hour long AVI to dvd vob files in 70/80 minuites duel pass encoded with nero vision 7.8 ultra, so what more can i say about AMD? K5 to K8 i have never had a single problem with AMD.... and remember when Duron came out against the intel celery? Well the AMD had an L2 cache and the intel did not.....down with intel down with them i say!!

Nice intro Karl. In short.....welcome to the team.
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast