Thread: World #1

World #1

PoorBoy takes another World #1 and AMD Users is also the World #1 team in the BOINC SHA-1 Collision Project run by the Technical University of Graz, Austria.

http://boinc.iaik.tugraz.at/sha1_coll_search/

Go AMD Users

Guess you guys want the stats adding
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Naturally :D

Reminder for the other adventurers out there - this project is still a bit rough on the edges. The Message boards are not up yet and there are still some bugs that can result in some disappointment.
    eg
    exit code -177 (maximum cpu time exceeded.)
    when this happens, it doesn't matter how long the wu ran for (usually about 1 hour) it will report 0, claim 0 and get 0.
    you have been advised :D

On the flip side, there is plenty of information provided explaining the what, how and why of SHA-1.
    Work units generally finish in 15 to 45 minutes depending on the speed of you machine and occupy about 5MB while running (so nice and small)
    Last edited by AMDave; 08-10-2007 at 02:24 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

AMDave is right, in fact I quit running the Project for now. I was starting to get way to many Wu's that would run for 30-45 min's and then error out where normally the Wu's would only run at the most 15-16 min's on my Quads and finish.

I think the problem may be I was starting to get Wu's that had erred out on other peoples Pc's already & were just being resent. When I first started the project I didn't notice any errors but then a few & then more and more.

I'll what until they have a Message Board at least so the problems can be reported ...

It looks like the Project has fixed the Wu's, I have run a couple of them since I received an e-mail from the Project. But now it seems the Wu's are 2-3 times longer than they were and their still only getting 10 Credits. So I'm still going to stay away from the Project until there's a message board at least.

I fired off an e-mail myself asking about the increase in Wu Length but haven't received a reply yet ...

PS: Here's the projects Reply, so it looks like they will eventually increse the Cedit for the Wu's that take longer ...

Hi, before developing the project we got the strong recommendation to use a server-side credit system. It is in the nature of our new
    collision search method that the exact work needed to finish a workunit is not constant. However, the system we have now, statically
    fixing the number of credits per workunit, is not the end of the story. We have a method in the pipeline which dynamically estimates
    the effort for each WU on the server side before they are sent out. That will take care of the difference you observed, stay tuned.
    Hope this addresses your concern, cheers, Christian
    Last edited by PoorBoy; 08-10-2007 at 11:33 PM.

... Errrrggghhh ... I think theres a Rough Computer or 2 @ the Sha-1 project, there were 31,000 Wu's a few Hours ago & now there are none ...

World #1

More Work Units are now available, time for my 4200's are close to 30 minutes each, yes we are still at 10 points each, but I have had no problems so far everyone of the work units have succumb to points no errors.

Oh and the message board is up and running.. Woo Hoo

With the current points awarding system I should be able to get close to the Cosmology project. I signed up for this project way back in Mid June, I figured I should at least get some points on it. Looks like a lot of people have signed up to work this project in the last 7 days, AMD users are no longer 1st we are 3rd with fourth looking like our new home very soon.

Poor Boy is ranked 2nd overall, with someone even more powerful then all his quads taking 1st place it looks like.

Go Team!
    Last edited by Nflight; 08-17-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Speeling boo boo

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Poor Boy is ranked 2nd overall, with someone even more powerful then all his quads taking 1st place it looks like.
    That's debatable really, his 8 Core PC's are quite a bit slower than my 4 Core PC's, thats the trouble with more and more Cores, you start getting diminishing returns as you add Cores.

I scoped him out a few days after he joined the Project & I think with his PC's Matched against mine it would be a toss up, either one us could come out on top by a little bit. But anyway I'm not running the Project anymore & haven't for about a week now so the point is mute ...

This and primegrid is now my 2 main things since I have ALOT to catch uo on after 6 months of no activity

Welcome Back Shotgunner101, ltns !

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...