Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Black Edition" Athlon X2 6400+

"Black Edition" Athlon X2 6400+

AMD Launches "Black Edition" Athlon 64 X2 6400+
    No this isn't a special edition Mercedes

AMD today silently resuscitated its 90nm Windsor core with a bump in clock speed in the form of the Athlon 64 X2 6400+. The latest Athlon 64 X2 runs at 3.2 GHz – higher than any available Core 2 Duo offering. Each core has access to its own 1MB of L2 cache.

AMD labels the new Athlon 64 X2 6400+ as the Black Edition, in matching black packaging. The new model does not have the lower 89 watt TDP as the upcoming Windsor refresh. Instead, the processor carries a 125 watt TDP rating, nearly three times higher than the Athlon X2 BE-series.

Since AMD is aiming for a silent launch with the Athlon 64 X2 6400+, it will not make it into reviewer’s hands. AMD will not offer the processor to PC manufacturers either, according to Scott Wasson, Tech Report. The only way to get a hold of the Athlon 64 X2 6400+ is through the channel.

AMD prices the Athlon 64 X2 6400+ at $239, per unit, in 1,000 unit quantities. At that price point, the processor will have to take on Intel’s Core 2 Duo E6750.

http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Launche...rticle8505.htm

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I think AMD is just stabbing in the dark. (Black Edition)..

I think your right, it is August and the release of the Quad core is just about at the end of the month and still nothing. I get the idea that the end is near for AMD. I am sorry to say that, but we have heard nothing stating the release of these super duper Quads. I am about ready to throw in the towel! I mean I don't want to jump up and down screaming at the top of my voice just yet, But Damn it where are the QUADS you promised us?

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    But Damn it where are the QUADS you promised us?

I agree 100%

well it does take the effort from ocÃ*ng off your shoulders

I sincerely hope that the end is not near for amd. Without amd, the intel line would not be anywhere close to where it is now, and there's many other things besides just that.

What I really wish was that the powerpc was available like amd/intel chips are. Otherwise if amd goes down the tubes, we will slowly recede back into the way things were before amd came along and lit a fire under intel.

We had another good chip, the dec alpha, but thanks to compaq that got kissed goodby too due to it being too much competition for them.

I think all you hard core intel lovers better be hoping that amd doesn't go away, cause without the competiton things will stagnate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    I think all you hard core intel lovers better be hoping that amd doesn't go away, cause without the competiton things will stagnate.
    Here here (or hear hear - not sure how you spell this saying!!! )

I agree and actually hope AMD comes out with something that knocks the socks off of what Intel has now. That will give me reason then to finally buy a AMD Setup. But I feel it doesn't look good for AMD at the moment, their putting out a lot of Hype but no Sustenance lately & that simply ain't going to wash with the performance Crowd ...

AMD has probably lost untold Millions already by dragging their feet while more and more people scoop up the Core 2 Duos & Quad Cores Intel is spitting out, hopefully they can recover from it though ...
    Last edited by PoorBoy; 08-20-2007 at 10:25 PM.

I'm very thankful to have AMD keeping Intel half honest. I'm hoping for some interesting stuff from AMD. I believe they are trying to get a real quad core... not 2 dual cores in the same socket. I would like to see this make a big difference. I still have other places to spend my money until AMD is on top or has some nicely priced quad cores.

My next machine will be Intel (sorry if i'm pissing in the wind)

AMD have shown little to no progression over the last year and we're supposed to be moving forward. Intel seems to be the only ones actually showing any progression with their products.

I am a long time user of AMD chips and i will be sad to move back to Intel after such a long time. Unless AMD do something fantastic then they've lost me to the competition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast