Thread: 64-bit sieving

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

64-bit sieving

I've been crunching away on PSP sieving, using the 64-bit sr2sieve client. Rips right along as there is a very noticeable speed increase over the 32-bit sieving client. Trying to get a few more points here, not that we will ever catch up with Blistering Sheep, but it's always a good thing to keep some points above the others to preserve the team position in the DC-Vault rankings and points for the project. Plus it's nice to be able to actually use the X2 64-bit processor's capabilities!

Just blowing my own horn... went past 13 million in psp sieving, and climbing. The team is now at 14.5 million.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I've looked at that app briefly but didn't understand it very well, how is the command line we should use? I mean, what parameters do we use and how?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    I've looked at that app briefly but didn't understand it very well, how is the command line we should use? I mean, what parameters do we use and how?
    Using the sr2sieve client, you need to have the SoB.dat file, and then create a sr2work.txt file. The format for the work file is, assuming a range of 666000 to 666200:
    and each range on a separate line. With the 64-bit client, it is sr2sieve, but the name is different for the 32-bit as there is a client for intel, and amd. So I run it with the cmd line of;
    ./sr2sieve -s -vv
    in linux. I'm assuming it would be the same for windows only with out the period and slash. The work is output in a factors666000.txt file, which is then imported by using the psp sieveimport app;
    http://www.psp-project.de/sieveimport.php
    You have the option of either turning in the returned factors to the SOB site, or having the psp project turn them in for you. I have been having psp project turn them in to get credit for them as I'm only after the psp sieving points.

amd-64's work very well in 64-bit linux. The Q6600 intel quads work very well accoring to VJS of ARS Technica. I'm just AMD myself.

PSP sieving now available through PrimeGrid.

Win 32 & 64 only so far.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I remember posting on Primegrid's boards a long time ago something like... "why not make the project something like a simple boinc interface for all of the complicated maths projects out there that very few people know how to crunch?"

Who would have guessed? They're really becoming it!

I had received an email from Lars the other day mentioning this, and was going to post here that for the boinc lovers, PrimeGrid would be the best way for them to contribute to the effort. Linux boinc is on the way. Also the original manual way will continue too so that anyone interested in helping the project can do so and continue in the O/S and method they prefer. Myself I prefer the non-boinc method.

The boinc method sieves the "combined" ranges, so that participants are contributing to both the PSP sieving effort and the SOB sieving effort. So it's a double credit project!
    Last edited by Brucifer; 10-14-2007 at 06:14 PM.