Thread: Building a New Computer

Building a New Computer (UP AND READY)

Hey guys, I know I haven't been posting very much. School has been getting to me. You may've also noticed my crunching very low/halted for some time. My CPU (Pentium 4 3.0GHz) likes to hover around 95 degrees Celsius, I'm surprised it's still running. But surely no one is surprised a P4 is that hot.

If I try crunching, it'll go higher than 100 degrees, and this is bad enough. Since I got a job back late Sept. in McD's, I thought I'd invest my money on hardware for a new computer. And I've now got everything except the motherboard, which my dad will pick up on Thurs.

So enough of the background story and the juicy specs.

Case: Antec P182
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula
    CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4GHz (Sorry, decided to go with Intel again. )
    RAM: Reusing 2GB of DDR2-667 from this computer
    Video Card: XFX 8800GT 512MB
    Hard Drives: Reusing current 500GB SATA2 and 250GB SATA from this computer

For those curious, the total cost is about $1000 - $1100 Canadian.

I was going for a dual-core and a cheaper motherboard, but my dad decided to buy the more expensive hardware for me while I was at work. I'll be building this after school on Friday and hope to have it up sometime at night. You'll notice it's more for gaming, but I can't wait to try out BOINC on this computer.
    Last edited by gamer007; 12-01-2007 at 08:17 AM.

Nice line up.

I've been looking at getting myself a similar rig for myself as a combined birthday and graduation present ;)

Kind of trying to get myself a Q6600 but going to max the RAM on the mobo as the aim of the PC will be to run Fire Dynamics Simulator, PyroSim, AutoCAD, CFast and other programs I'll need as an engineer. Oh and when it's not being used for work, I'll stick BOINC on it

Only difference really with the rig I have planned is I was going to pay to get a workstation card but I don't know if it'll make that much difference when it comes to using 2D applications and I think I'll need the 3D power for the FDS 3D model viewing.

Anyhow, looks like a nice rig overall. I hear Vista Home premium is a hog but I've also heard that it can be slimmed down quite considerably... Like disabling UAC, fancy graphics etc.

Building a New Computer

Gamer007 once you have the system built you might want to try it out on the Boinc project Cosmology, just a note that sounds like a nice machine, even if it is an INteoL machine. (I have a difficult time pronouncing the competition to AMD)! Sounds awesome there Gamer007!!!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Hi Gamer,

Your memory will be a bottleneck on that system. When you get a chance/cash upgrade it to PC2-8500+ (1066Mhz +) DDR2 memory. You'll notice a major difference if you're playing games.

btw, when you slim Vista down it still looks like...

and runs like a...

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
    Hi Gamer,

Your memory will be a bottleneck on that system. When you get a chance/cash upgrade it to PC2-8500+ (1066Mhz +) DDR2 memory. You'll notice a major difference if you're playing games.

btw, when you slim Vista down it still looks like...

and runs like a...

I agree with Strongbow, I run Corsair PC 8500 (1066) DDR2 on my systems and they run great

Thanks for the tip on the RAM. They seem a bit pricey for me considering I'm not even paid min. wage! ($8/hr CAD)

British Columbia seems to have a stupid law where you have a min. training wage of $6/hr for your first 500hrs of employment.

Damn, that sucks. Here in the Uk we have a minimum wage but it doesn't apply until your 21! Lucky enough I've been working at places where they value the staff and I got paid more than minimum since I turned 19.

Hell my training wage at one place was higher than my standard pay!

Hey guys. My comp is up and ready.

Time to try out BOINC.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer007 View Post
    Hey guys. My comp is up and ready.

Time to try out BOINC.
    That's great Gamer Let us know how it crunches

Building a New Computer

I am expecting great things from your new machine gamer007, sounds like your system will be a great team asset.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...