Thread: Influencing my next hardware choice...

Influencing my next hardware choice...

http://boinc.rieselsieve.com/orig/to...=expavg_credit

Only influencing me slightly!

Almost all the top 50 computers are Intel's and most of those are Quad Cores. Will have a look over most of the other projects I crunch at some time and I reckon the pattern will be similar.

I've been looking too, but you have to remember a lot of other factors influence RAC - little things like how much time each day the system is actually crunching, etc. Go into the details of those top computers to look at the turn around times and fpu & integer Boincmips, etc to see which cpu is actually going to be doing what you expect.

Then you have the problem that some projects greatly favor one cpu over another ... decisions, decisions.

Right now I just looking for something fairly inexpensive to replace the old slot 1 P3s I have (and thin out the crowd some). A couple of mid-range C2Ds and maybe a AthlonX2 will give me a fair amount more crunch and significantly more room ...

One new box a month is my current goal - money allowing.
    Fabricati Diem, Pvnk

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".

http://boinc.rieselsieve.com/orig/sh...p?hostid=26632

Check this guy out...

Computer information Ownerjpgivens Created22 Sep 2007 21:57:45 UTC Total Credit287,373.00 Recent average credit4,997.26 CPU typeAuthenticAMD
    AMD Engineering Sample [AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 2] Number of CPUs8 Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows Vista
    , (06.00.6000.00) Memory4093.63 MB Cache122.07 KB Measured floating point speed1895.53 million ops/sec Measured integer speed5737.71 million ops/sec Average upload rate10.12 KB/sec Average download rate1177.24 KB/sec Average turnaround time0 days Maximum daily WU quota per CPU150/day Results523

8 processors? (2 quad cores?)

As the subject of being influenced has been broached, I have to say that I've been *totally* influenced by the Q6600 system that I bought. Not even going to consider buying any more AMD chips unless they can bring out something that tops the q6600 for price and performance to include motherboard and memory.Even on the psp sieving that I've been crunching on where AMD used to have the edge over Intel, the q6600 runs circles around anything I can put together using amd for the same bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil-Dragon View Post
    Yep.

Same with the top PC as well...
    http://boinc.rieselsieve.com/orig/sh...2949:icon_eek:

Cheers Brucifer, that's nice to know it works well on sieve and LLR units. I hear it's pretty damn stonking on FAH so as soon as I can afford one, I'll be getting one. Also good overclockers from what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil-Dragon View Post
    http://boinc.rieselsieve.com/orig/sh...p?hostid=26632

Check this guy out...

Computer information Ownerjpgivens Created22 Sep 2007 21:57:45 UTC Total Credit287,373.00 Recent average credit4,997.26 CPU typeAuthenticAMD
    AMD Engineering Sample [AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 2] Number of CPUs8 Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows Vista
    , (06.00.6000.00) Memory4093.63 MB Cache122.07 KB Measured floating point speed1895.53 million ops/sec Measured integer speed5737.71 million ops/sec Average upload rate10.12 KB/sec Average download rate1177.24 KB/sec Average turnaround time0 days Maximum daily WU quota per CPU150/day Results523

or he could have a 4 dual core opteron setup..... He's had to have it running close to 70 days for that credit.