Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer hang up

After the updated Majestic-12 version and upgrading to Norton's 2008 my Opteron 185 dualie is working a good bit harder than it was - and producting more heat. Mainly Norton's 2007 kept the brakes on my system and was a real resource hog. Norton's 2008 doesn't seem to be abusing nearly as much capacity so I'm now getting quite a bit more work out of my system. Twice my system had locked locked up, not with the BSOD - the monitor went all wonky, but the system locked up anyhow. My cores were running 62c to 66c with a stock cooler. I popped the case and felt the memory sticks and they were hot also, so I stuck a desk fan right in front of my system to blow a lot of air on the mother board and memory, and to provide cooler air to the CPU cooler - no more lock ups.

It may simply be that your system and fans need cleaning or better cooling. My system came with a 3800+ processor and the Opty 185's weren't recommended for my motherboard, but it works and it gave me twice the capacity in MJ-12 along with better Proteins@Home production. CoreTemp is now showing 60c to 63c on the cores, which still too hot, but better as a temp fix. Probably the best thing is that the memory sticks are getting more air now. The short cabling from my stock power supply doesn't allow me to re-route the cables for better air flow.

Why not just reduce the cpu multiplier 1 notch until you get a decent cooler?
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

I've never learned how to change a multiplier, and any instructions I have ever seen seem to be written by geeks for geeks - and have seemed never matched the BIOS displays I have. The chance of screwing something up is simply too high, and economically now is not a good time to take risks. If I let the magic smoke out of something I won't be able to afford to replace it.

search for a product call rmclock_235_bin.exe
    or go here:
    http://cpu.rightmark.org/download.shtml

You want RightMark CPU Clock Utility.
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12